Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Aloha Folks,

I'm looking for recommendations on an app that is compatible with mojave and runs from a mac that can connect with linux hosts that have GUI. I currently use Terminal to ssh into those off-site hosts but cannot connect to them via Apple Remote Desktop. So that is my intention ~ remotely access a host and take advantage of their gui capabilities.

~Mahalo~!

Danno

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Have a look at Jump Desktop or Screens. I use the former to connect to other Macs, Windows and Linux using a SSH tunnel with a certificate based log-on credentials.

Reactions: BookEmDanno

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Aloha Folks,

I'm looking for recommendations on an app that is compatible with mojave and runs from a mac that can connect with linux hosts that have GUI. I currently use Terminal to ssh into those off-site hosts but cannot connect to them via Apple Remote Desktop. So that is my intention ~ remotely access a host and take advantage of their gui capabilities.

~Mahalo~!

Danno
I use Screens which will connect to Mac/Windows/Linux. https://edovia.com
Screens natively supports SSH tunneling for VNC/screen sharing, which is nice.

Reactions: BookEmDanno

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Have a look at Jump Desktop or Screens. I use the former to connect to other Macs, Windows and Linux using a SSH tunnel with a certificate based log-on credentials.

Thank you for your response.
I'm currently testing on Jump Desktop 7.1.4. Works well for remote access to macOS, Windows, and Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora remote servers. But I can't get it to work on Redhat and CentOS linux remote servers. The SSH tunneling aspect does not work. Specifically I get this specific message:
"Could not create SSH tunnel - Please make sure tcp forwarding is enabled on the server. Details: "Channel open failure"

Tried possible solutions that I googled and also from Jump Desktop support. This is one of the threads:
https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/...o-connect-to-ubuntu-14-04-over-vnc-ssh-tunnel

Although the question was for Ubuntu (which works for me), I followed the same steps for my RHEL/CentOS issues.

Mahalo again for the recommendation.
[doublepost=1534555158][/doublepost]
TeamViewer might perhaps be what you are looking for.

As I replied to the 2nd post, I'm trying Jump Desktop now.
Mahalo for the response.
[doublepost=1534555265][/doublepost]
I use Screens which will connect to Mac/Windows/Linux. https://edovia.com
Screens natively supports SSH tunneling for VNC/screen sharing, which is nice.

Tried Screens but my preference for now is Jump Desktop. As you can see from my reply to post#2, I'm having issues on SSH tunneling.

Mahalo again for your response.

Reactions: inarush

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
Thank you for your response.
I'm currently testing on Jump Desktop 7.1.4. Works well for remote access to macOS, Windows, and Ubuntu/Debian and Fedora remote servers. But I can't get it to work on Redhat and CentOS linux remote servers. The SSH tunneling aspect does not work. Specifically I get this specific message:
"Could not create SSH tunnel - Please make sure tcp forwarding is enabled on the server. Details: "Channel open failure"

Tried possible solutions that I googled and also from Jump Desktop support. This is one of the threads:
https://support.jumpdesktop.com/hc/...o-connect-to-ubuntu-14-04-over-vnc-ssh-tunnel

Although the question was for Ubuntu (which works for me), I followed the same steps for my RHEL/CentOS issues.

Glad it works. I've only ever connected to Raspberry Pi (Debian) as far as Linux is concerned. I'm not familiar with Redhat/CentOS unfortunately...

Can you SSH directly to Redhat/CentOS using Terminal on your Mac?

BookEmDanno

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2010
State of ~Aloha!~
Glad it works. I've only ever connected to Raspberry Pi (Debian) as far as Linux is concerned. I'm not familiar with Redhat/CentOS unfortunately...

Can you SSH directly to Redhat/CentOS using Terminal on your Mac?

Yes, I am able to SSH directly to all my Linux flavors using Terminal.
My issue is that I could NOT remote desktop (via Jump Desktop) to Redhat and CentOS. But I COULD on the other flavors ~ Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu.

Mahalo for the reply.

NazgulRR

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2010
My issue is that I could NOT remote desktop (via Jump Desktop) to Redhat and CentOS. But I COULD on the other flavors ~ Debian, Fedora and Ubuntu.

Mahalo for the reply.

If you can SSH using Terminal.app, could you then use the Screen Sharing.app (use Spotlight to find the app on your mac) to connect to those Redhat/CentOS? This way you can at least rule out whether the issue is with Jump Desktop or not.

You're welcome :).

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

Mahalo for the reply.
Did the SSH tunnel option in the Screens demo work for you?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.