Remote Access of Cameras in Macs...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Fishman9898, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Fishman9898 macrumors newbie

As you all probably have heard by now, some schools that give computers to students have been accessing the cameras in Macs to spy on the people using them. My sister is a college professor and her school gave her a Mac with a camera, how can she verify that no one has been spying on her? Is there anything she can do to prevent it from happening in the future?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"how can she verify that no one has been spying on her? Is there anything she can do to prevent it from happening in the future?"

Black electrician's tape.
    And scissors.

High-tech problem.
    Low-tech solution.

3. Fishman9898 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would stop it for the future. Can they also access the microphone, though? Does the computer keep a log of times that it was accessed in the past?

4. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

The green light next to the iSight indicates that it's active. No light no camera.

Check what programs that starts up with the computer and disable remote desktop if she doesn't need it. Or install little snitch, it shows the user all incoming request

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

No, it stops out-going messages, not incoming.

Did the employer have her sign any contract about the machine? If so, read it closely, as they legally have to tell you if they monitor it at all.

6. Cool Runnings macrumors regular

My bad... didn't do my homework:eek:

7. Fishman9898 thread starter macrumors newbie

It sounds like from this article that a Mac will keep a log of when it is accessed via remote desktop:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1088

Am I reading that correctly?

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Some of that is logged, but only for a certain amount of time, and it's not generally in an easy to read format. You can open Console and see the various logs files on your machine.