Remote access to another Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dismas, Dec 8, 2010.

1. dismas macrumors newbie

I've set up an old MacPro to be a media center for my AppleTV. I'd like to set up a VNC client to work with the box so my wife can get her monitor back from me (I'm using her second monitor). I poked around and found Chicken of the VNC and thought this would work. I'm not really sure what I'm doing though and the help pages aren't really helping.

I just want to log into that machine through my MacBook. I thought that I just had to plug in the IP of the box and I'd pretty much be off and running but that isn't working out. CotVNC keeps locking up every time I try what I think is right. Can someone give me a quick and dirty run-down of what I need to do in order to do what I want?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

TeamViewer works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc.

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You don't need any additional software.

On the remote mac make sure screen sharing is turned on, then on the other mac, in finder hit G0->Connect to server and then type in vnc://ip.address.of.remote.mac/ and it should connect.

4. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

This,

also make sure that the VNC option is turned on inside the screen sharing option.

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You don't need the vnc option on, since you can authenticate via the user account instead.

6. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Ok, that makes sense. I just assumed that in order to use the VNC protocol it would have to be turned on.

7. dismas thread starter macrumors newbie