Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rch5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I'm searching for a simple way to access documents on my computer (running Leopard) over 3g. I have many pdfs that I would like to access from the office without having to copy them directly onto my phone. Being connected to the same wifi network is not possible and I'm trying to avoid signing up for a MobileMe account.

Software like Simplify Media for pdf files?

Thanks in advance.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Readdledocs is an option. Sign up for Readdle's free service, email documents to that service, they'll detach the documents from the emails and store them on their server till you sync and download the documents to your Readdledocs app.

rch5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
That's not a bad service, just not what I"m looking for. I have a couple gigs worth of documents that I would like to access from my iphone without syncing. I'm looking for an app to access, through 3G, a documents folder.

brian doherty

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Orb Live may work. Most people use it to stream videos / music / live tv to their phones, but it also works with PDF's. They have a lite version of Orb Live on the app store to try out and a beta release candidate (but it works fine) of the software you'd need to be running on your mac.

http://forums.orb.com/viewtopic.php?t=20933

rch5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I tried the free version of OrbLive and it worked exactly as I hoped. However, it wouldn't let me open any PDF that was larger than 1 megabyte. Do you have any experience with the full version and whether or not this block is removed?

Thanks!

brian doherty

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
I'm not sure, I couldn't find anything on the Orb support site, but I did recreate your problem. I'm just going to assume Orb put a limitation on the pdf file size because of the limited RAM on the phone, they didn't want to crash it.

Maybe if they could find a way to "stream" the PDF based on what page you were on, rather than download the whole document to your phone, you'd be okay.

ksmith80209

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I use DropBox to store/sync all my docs between my machines and the iPhone web access to DB does what you are looking for (I think). When I log in via the iPhone, I can access every one of my documents.

iFerd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2007
There are memory limits that prevent you (or I should say me :) ) from opening pdfs above a certain size on my iPhone.

I don't know if there will be more RAM in the 3Gs, but without it, I suspect the iPhone will retain such limits.

I can open files larger that 1 MB, though. But I store files on MobileMe or use File Magic to transfer them to my iPhone. Neither seem like an attractive solution to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.