Remote access to Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini - how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macbookmark, Aug 20, 2007.

1. macbookmark macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have an ADSL wireless router connected for my broadband service. Connected to the router is a Lacie Ethernet Disk Mini external drive.

I have no problem using the drive across the wireless network when I am in range of the router. I connect using AFP to the drive as a server.

The drive, and all other items connected to the router, is always allocated the same IP address 192.168.1.xx/partitionname

I have a fixed IP address from my ADSL provider, 87.194.xxx.xx

How, when I am away from home, can I connect to my Ethernet drive over another network to access my files stored on it please?

2. mattvick macrumors newbie

I'd also like to remotely access my EDmini. I don't have a Home Edition.

I'd also like to remotely access my EDmini. I don't have a Home Edition drive. Does anyone have an idea if this is possible?

Could no-ip (http://no-ip.com) be installed on the drive relatively easily?

I have:
    * 500GB LaCie Ethernet Disk mini Gigabit Ethernet & Hi-Speed USB 2.0 (http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10844)
    * BeBox ADSL modem / router

It would be great if I could set up any kind of remote access (ftp, smb, afp or media server access) over the Internet.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Matthew

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The answer will be router specific, but basically if you map the ports that AFP uses (Google to find out) on the router to the internal IP of the disk then you should be able to AFP connect from the Internet.

Note unless you have some form of password controlled access to the drive I'd not recommend this: it's the internet after all...