Remote access to laptop PC

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hitman1717, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Hitman1717 macrumors regular

I have a PC game that I play on my old laptop. If I were to get an app for the iPad like VNC viewer, what do I need to do with the laptop for it to be accessed remotely? Does it stay on? Open? Does anything get installed on it?

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

I picked up the Splashtop Remote app during a recent sale, it's pretty decent. I imagine the answers would be similar for other apps:

(1) Yes, you leave the computer on.
    (2) Open or not depends on the laptop/computer and whether it can remain running and not overheat when closed.
    (3) Yes unless perhaps the OS on that box supports terminal services or similar. Splashtop Remote had a free download for my MBP that stays running the the background to handle the communication to the ipad app

3. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Is Splashtop any different than VNC? I guess I'd I kept the laptop on and open, it would just stay asleep anyway, right?

What's an MBP?

4. RobesNo1 macrumors regular

Splashtop is not the same as VNC but they are both remote control utilities.

If you are unsure I would suggest you use "logmein ignition". It's the most user friendly remote control software I have come across. Whichever one you use you'll need to either leave your laptop running all the time or use Wake On Lan to wake it every time you wish to use it. I think for your purposes I'd just leave it on though (you'll need to turn off some power saving features, or it will most likely go into sleep mode).

MBP = Mac Book Pro ;)

5. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

If the laptop goes to sleep, it can't be accessed? I just hope the old thing can withstand being on all the time.

6. Decked macrumors member

If you get a Wake on LAN app you can wake the PC back on from your ipad or phone. (IRPM or iWOL) provided it's connect to the network via a cable.

7. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

The plot thickens. So I would have to have the laptop left on, plugged into the wall to be charged, and connected to the router with an ethernet cable?

8. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Also, if you are looking for speedy app, go with Logmein. It's rendering engine is much better than VNC based remote control utilities. It's as fast as RDP

9. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Many reviews said logmein is costly and doesn't always connect with laptops that need to be woken from sleep.

10. iceman027 macrumors member

I love the Logmein app. Very easy to use, worth the money in my opinion.

11. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Is it a one time payment? Many reviews said it was monthly after the initial buy. Also, do you use it with sleeping computers?

12. Meanee macrumors 6502a

It's a one time payment. You can use the Logmein Free version to control unlimited number of computers. On my account, I have, what can be only described as a "metric assload" of computers, and it manages everything just fine.

As for sleeping computers, I have Logmein host running on my HTPC (65watts) that never sleeps. It wakes up my other computers in the household, when I need them.

13. Cubemaster13, Jun 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011

Cubemaster13 macrumors member

im pretty much a noob when it comes to all the remote access stuff but do you have to be on the same network to access your computer from the log me in app. I know you have to be with the splashtop app you do.

14. Meanee macrumors 6502a

With logmein, you can be anywhere in the world. And you do not need to change your router settings, like you have to do with splashtop, vnc and others. Install program, on your pc or Mac, buy the app, and you are done.

15. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Never mind. Misread something. Ignore this reply. (Where is the delete post button?)

16. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

I think I might try logmein. I didn't see an app in the app store. Should I try their website?

17. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Does this work?

18. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

19. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that's the app I saw where the reviews said you pay per month. I don't mind the 30 bucks if the app will do what I want it to.

20. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

The subscription is just for the extra premium features. For the basic stuff, you don't need it.

21. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, that's good to know! If you download the app on the iPad, what do you do for the host computer?

22. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

On the host computer, you need to go to the Logmein website and download their app. Install it on that computer, and then you'll be able to connect to it anywhere from the iPad.

23. Meanee macrumors 6502a

Also, they do not have Per Month. There are some premium features, but for most people, you won't need it.

Pro - Lets you file transfer (between PCs) and print (also between PCs), plus a ton of IT management
    Central - Useful if you have more computers, and need to invite others to share
    IT Reach - Mostly used by tech support

While regular Free will allow you to transfer files (PC-iPad) and Print (also, from iPad). The 30 bucks is pretty steep, but it's a one time payment.

24. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help everyone. I will report back once I download the app and set up the laptop.

25. Hitman1717 thread starter macrumors regular

Here's the update: once the old laptop was open and online, I made the changes for it not to sleep or hibernate. The iPad logmein app worked and made contact. Though it had a bit on a lag, I was able to make a connection.

However, once the laptop screen is closed the connection is lost. This is annoying because I don't want to leVe the laptop open all the time. Can this be fixed?