Remote access to time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by -latee, Jul 27, 2011.

1. -latee macrumors newbie

Hi, first time poster at the forum!

I just received my new macbook air and just love it! I trying to decided between external hd and time capsule/nas for my media files and back ups. Would love the nas/time capsule option because i wouldn't need to carry and extra item with me all the time. Any suggestions?

But my main question is that can a time capsule act as a server? Can i access my files remotely via internet? Yes, i know there was that back to my mac but i understand it needs mobile me.

Thanks to everyone who offers help!:)

2. Dnix macrumors 6502

Assuming your Capsule is powered on and connected to your Mac...SSH?

Basically that, or some Graphical front-end to it.

3. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

I don't think there's an easy way to do it. I say that because I've seen others ask and haven't seen a good answer.

However, I do notice that there's a checkbox in Airport Utility->Disks->File Sharing that is labeled "Share disks over the Internet using Bonjour." Just haven't heard how to use it.

Sharing disks/files locally is no problem.

4. -latee thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i was thinking theres no easy way. Just wondering if u guys know better, or if anybody tried that.

The problem is now to choose between carrying an external hdd with me or suffer from the slow speeds of a nas and being cable free. :confused: