Remote Access

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TheConfuzed1, Jan 22, 2012.

1. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

I just got a new MacBook Pro.

I have never owned a Windows computer before, but this thing is running Lion and Windows 7, via Boot Camp and Parallels.

I need to be able to connect to a Windows 2000 server at work, via Remote Access.

If I boot into Windows under Boot Camp, I am able to use Microsoft Remote Access, to connect to the server.

Loading my Boot Camp partition under Parallels, I am not able to connect the same way.

Ideally, I would just connect using Apple Remote Desktop, and skip Windows altogether, but that doesn't connect either.

Can anyone give some guidance here please?

Thanks.

2. d1sahib macrumors newbie

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In what way does that fail?

B

4. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's the oddest thing... I just tried it, in order to post the error here, and it inexplicably works now!

Weird...

It would still be better if I could get the Mac client working, but at least I don't have to keep rebooting now!

I would just like to point out that I am now using Mac OS X to access Windows 7 under virtualization, to remotely access a Windows 2000 server!

That blows my mind a little bit. :)

5. mainstay macrumors 6502

mainstay

agreed... so long as there isn't some sort of additional VPN technology that is not supported in Mac (doesn't sound like it), you can just use the free RDP client for Mac...

skip all the virtualization stuff (for this purpose, it does have other useful applications)

6. JTravers macrumors 6502a

CoRD is another excellent, free RDP client. It's a little more customizable and feature-rich than the Microsoft client, in my opinion.
    http://cord.sourceforge.net/

7. TheConfuzed1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I downloaded Remote Desktop for Mac.

About 80% of the time it crashes when I try to connect.

The other 20% of the time I get a black screen.

I don't know what's going on. This is a brand new system, so it's hard to imagine that there's a conflict.

----------

Awesome! This works very well! Thanks for the tip!