Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Does software exist where I can get access to my other iMac 300 miles away and actually run it as if I were there?
This would have to be real time, not a sharing only type app.

Should have added free.

Last edited:

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Just downloaded and installed free Team Viewer.
Have no idea as to where to start, don't see any help section, and right off the bat it looks like something a person with more IT experience has to set up than I have.

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Tried to set up Back to My Mac, tried to follow the directions, what they said and what I saw didn't match.
Jump isn't free.
Not going to pay for something I can't get to work.

Last edited:

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
just 2 days ago, i try real vnc. It work, but only one problem. MAC cannot sleep upon remote..** not real vnc issue

Last edited:

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
Another vote for Jump Desktop. I use it to connect my MacBook Pro/iPad Pro to my iMac, my Windows 10 PC and Windows Server 2008 400 miles away usually all at the same time. It's never let me down.

Reactions: sracer

SecuritySteve

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2017
California
Assuming you can VPN in to your network ... what is wrong with using the stock macOS remote desktop application exactly?

Once you've connected to your network remotely, go to Finder -> Go -> Connect to Server

Type vnc://(serveraddress) where (serveraddress) is the local IP of your mac

And presto, you're now remotely connected to your mac.

As for VPN solutions if you do not have one, openVPN is free and supported by macOS.

In Utopia

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Sounds simple, except I'm not understanding anything you said.
Starting with connect to my network remotely. I have no idea on how to do that.
Right now the other computer 300 miles away is turned off.

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
Sounds simple, except I'm not understanding anything you said.
Starting with connect to my network remotely. I have no idea on how to do that.
Right now the other computer 300 miles away is turned off.
E.g my test

Mac is in sleep mode and have installed vnc server from here https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/download/vnc/ . Then i install vnc viewer to my windows laptop .

My Windows Laptop -> on cellphone wifi
My Mac -> on internal fibre optic

Step

1. Login to real vnc app. connect to your mac.. wala. finish. The only problem i had is as mention above, i clicked sleep at the normal menu but mac discconect but still in alive mode . But in mean time, i had also mac setup for sleep mode after not open/used after 30 minute.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
Assuming you can VPN in to your network
You can stop right there. Someone who isn't even capable of getting TeamViewer to run, which requires nothing other than installing, launching, typing in ID and password, won't understand a single word of what you just said.

@In Utopia TeamViewer is dead simple. Install it on your remote Mac and use the ID and password to connect from your other Mac via TeamViewer. Done.

mreg376

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I use Teamviewer. It's free for personal use, and is less complicated to set up than it looks. It's worked consistently and reliably. I use it mainly for "technical support" for remote family members.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.