Remote Access

Discussion in 'macOS' started by axeldtf, Mar 26, 2008.

1. axeldtf macrumors 6502

I just got back from the apple store. The guy in the store showed me some neat stuff my macbook and imac can do. He showed me screen sharing and remote access features with my .mac account. When i got home i was able to access my imac from my macbook and vice versa. I only seem to be able to do this when i'm in the same area. When i'm at work with my macbook i'm unable to access my imac at home. The sales associate told me i should be able to do this. Any info or advice on what i'm doing wrong?

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It is possible that your work blocks such access. If you work for a moderately large company with a dedicated IT staff, it is almost guaranteed. Can you access webmail (Hotmail, Yahoo Mail, Gmail, etc,) from work? If not, then you're not going to be able to use Back To My Mac.

edit: You also have to make sure that you actually have Back To My Mac turned on in the '.Mac' system preference pane on both computers. If you just have "Screen Sharing" turned on in the sharing pane, then it will only work locally no matter what.

3. axeldtf thread starter macrumors 6502

i just checked and back to my mac is turned on. I've tried accessing from libraries and other wi-fi sections. still no avail.