Remote Accessing Files on my Home Network

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mynewromantica, May 27, 2010.

1. mynewromantica macrumors regular

I just bought a new 15" MBP 3 days ago and got an Airport Extreme to replace my Linksys router. I have 3 Hard drives connected to it and I have no problems accessing the files when I am at home on my personal network but what if I am at school or work and I need those files. Is there some way for me to get to them remotely?

2. vbman213 macrumors 6502

VPN (Virtual Private Network)

If your Linksys router is compatible with DD-WRT, you can set up PPTP or OpenVPN.

So basically how this works is when you are away, you connect to your VPN. This will make your remote computer look like it is on your home network. The connection is securely tunneled over the internet.

Then all your network shares that would normally use in your home network can be access via the internet, just as if you were at home.

3. elmangaso macrumors newbie

I also, just bought a Macbook Pro as well, and I'm having to go through the learning curve with accessing my stuff at home and remotely as well. vbman213 is right about the VPN. This is what you eventually want to do. It can be a pain though if you aren't familiar with networking. Since I have to do the exact same thing this weekend (when I can block out 2-3 hours of futzing around with my router & NAS sever) i was google'ing mac/network related stuff and came across this:

http://kb.iu.edu/data/algt.html

...this is only useful if you don't mind exposing your files to everyone on the internet, but it's quick and easy.

Another thing to think about is MobileMe, which they pushed hard when I bought the Macbook Pro. MobileMe supposedly lets you sync mail/calendar and other documents between all the computers (at home or on the internet), even with PCs. I passed on it though since I already had a NAS setup.

btw, if someone has a link to a good how-to for VPN & Snow Leopard, I would would love to see it! It'll save me some time this weekend :)