Remote app broken after 10.5.6

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by khunsanook, Dec 20, 2008.

  1. khunsanook macrumors 6502

    khunsanook

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    East Asia
    #1
    Anybody else having problems with ipod/iphone Remote app connecting to their iTunes library since updating to 10.5.6? I haven't changed anything in my settings (computer or router), but now iTunes gets stuck when trying to verify my Touch passcode. I can get Remote to connect if i set up a computer-to-computer network with my MacBook, but not on my or any other wifi networks (I've tried 3)

    in iTunes prefs I have checked "look for iPhone and iPod Touch Remotes"
    in Firewall Security section of System Prefs I have set access for iTunes and also tried "allow all incoming connections"

    This is super frustrating because I have become addicted to Remote app.
     
  2. ghall macrumors 68040

    ghall

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Rhode Island
    #2
    It works fine for me. Try setting it up again.
     
  3. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

    khunsanook

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    East Asia
    #3
    Glad it's working for you. I've tried setting it up again many many times already.
     
  4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #4
    Well there isn't much to help you with. It's not like an app which has settings we can modify. I say, delete the app. Reboot the computer. And try again.
     
  5. khunsanook thread starter macrumors 6502

    khunsanook

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2006
    Location:
    East Asia
    #5
    Right. Done the delete-reinstall process a few times. I realize it's not the easiest thing to troubleshoot, but just looking for anyone who might be experiencing similar probs and found a solution. I've found quite a few posts on other forums about similar problems over the past months (unrelated to 10.5.6) and have tried others' fixes to no avail. For now I guess I'm stuck with using Remote over a computer-to-computer network until things "just work" again...whenever that is. So strange how the app was flawless until the 10.5.6 update.
     

Share This Page