Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
I was trying to figure out exactly where to post this question, so my apologies if this isn't the best forum for this. I wasn't sure if this is app-related, iTunes-related, Mac-related, or something to do with my network connection.

I find that the iOS Remote app will normally work just fine 9 out of 10 times. My iPhone and iMac are on the same wireless network and I've got Home Sharing enabled in iTunes and on the iPhone.

However, 1 out of 10 times I'll open the Remote app and I get the screen that prompts me to turn Home Sharing ON and try again. Home Sharing remains ON in iTunes, and both the Mac and iPhone are still connected to the internet via WiFi.

After some troubleshooting, I've found that simply turning WiFi 'OFF' and then back 'ON' on the Mac will fix the problem every time.

Anyone have any idea where this problem is stemming from? Is it an issue with the app itself, the Mac, or the internet connection?

jgelin

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
St Petersburg, FL
I was trying to figure out exactly where to post this question, so my apologies if this isn't the best forum for this. I wasn't sure if this is app-related, iTunes-related, Mac-related, or something to do with my network connection.

I find that the iOS Remote app will normally work just fine 9 out of 10 times. My iPhone and iMac are on the same wireless network and I've got Home Sharing enabled in iTunes and on the iPhone.

However, 1 out of 10 times I'll open the Remote app and I get the screen that prompts me to turn Home Sharing ON and try again. Home Sharing remains ON in iTunes, and both the Mac and iPhone are still connected to the internet via WiFi.

After some troubleshooting, I've found that simply turning WiFi 'OFF' and then back 'ON' on the Mac will fix the problem every time.

Anyone have any idea where this problem is stemming from? Is it an issue with the app itself, the Mac, or the internet connection?
Maybe it has to do with the wifi connection going to sleep?
Do you have keep on for wifi access on in your computer from which you are sharing your library?

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Maybe it has to do with the wifi connection going to sleep?
Do you have keep on for wifi access on in your computer from which you are sharing your library?

Yep, wifi stays on all the time...although I do think there might be something funky with the connection. I never see the wifi disconnect, but maybe it randomly switches to different bands or something. Very frustrating.

I've also noticed that the AirPlay icon on the status bar of my Mac constantly disappears and immediately reappears. Something is causing an inconsistent connection...

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
Yep, wifi stays on all the time...although I do think there might be something funky with the connection. I never see the wifi disconnect, but maybe it randomly switches to different bands or something. Very frustrating.

I've also noticed that the AirPlay icon on the status bar of my Mac constantly disappears and immediately reappears. Something is causing an inconsistent connection...
What IOS and OS are you running?

JamesMB

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2011
Texas
iOS 9.2.1 beta.

OS X El Capitan

I believe I began noticing the problems around the El Captian install, but I'm not sure...
Yep, I was gonna ask if you were running El Cap, because the El Cap forum is littered with posts about wifi connectivity issues. FWIW, I upgraded to El Cap when it was released, had to many issues (wifi being one of them), and downgraded back to Yosemite a week later. The issues don't seem to affect everyone, but I'm seeing enough reports to make me cautious of upgrading again any time soon. Seems like the latest release (10.11.2) hasn't resolved some of the issues, so I'll wait for 10.11.3, and see if is any better. I can deal with the IOS issues, as long as I can make calls and text, but my MBP has to just work, because I don't want to take the time to figure out workarounds.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Yep, I was gonna ask if you were running El Cap, because the El Cap forum is littered with posts about wifi connectivity issues. FWIW, I upgraded to El Cap when it was released, had to many issues (wifi being one of them), and downgraded back to Yosemite a week later. The issues don't seem to affect everyone, but I'm seeing enough reports to make me cautious of upgrading again any time soon. Seems like the latest release (10.11.2) hasn't resolved some of the issues, so I'll wait for 10.11.3, and see if is any better. I can deal with the IOS issues, as long as I can make calls and text, but my MBP has to just work, because I don't want to take the time to figure out workarounds.

Oh wow - thanks so much for that info. Gonna check the El Cap forum now!

Randomizer

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2012
I have been experiencing this same issue for several years, across multiple OSX versions. I have two ATV3 units. One or both of the units drop off the ios Remote. This occurs frequently enough, maybe 3-4 out of 10 times i fire up the Remote app I find one or both missing. A percentage of the time I have found this is because the iPad I am using is on the guest wifi network and not the primary (another question in itself). When I put it back on the primary network the ATVs return. But on the other occasions I've found that restarting the ATV2 (hand remote: hold menu + down for approx 6 seconds) does the trick. The ATV restarts and shows up again in the ios Remote. I have to restart once or twice a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.