Remote App Stopped Working with iTunes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sammyman, Mar 10, 2011.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

Today my iPhone Remote Apps stopped working. I am sure the network is working fine and they are on the same wifi network. I got a new remote today (harmony remote), and my iTunes was updated, so I don't know if either of these are affecting connectivity. However, I need my remote app. Can't live without it. Any ideas?

2. apockalipse macrumors member

Not sure if your problem is related to what I was experiencing but I think setting up Static IP's solved the problems for me.

I was experiencing inconsistent issues with iTunes, Home Sharing, and the Remote App. One minute, everything worked fine, and then a minute later, nothing worked. Then it would fix itself and then go down again. There was no rhyme or reason.

By default, I believe most devices are set up to get a Dynamic IP assigned by your router. If you have a lot of devices that are constantly joining and leaving the network, the IP address assigned to one device one minute may end up getting assigned to another device the next. This confuses everything else because they don't know what is what on the network. By setting up a Static IP, that device will always have the same IP address no matter what everytime it connects to the network.

Since setting up Static IP's yesterday, the problems have stopped and everything is working perfectly every time (this never happened).

Here's the link to my thread on this issue:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1113477