Remote app to view Apple TV iCloud content?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by BigDaddy5, Nov 4, 2013.

1. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

I'm curious if I can set up the apple remote app to view shows/movies that are purchased but not on any device, and play them through Apple TV. Basically, all the guides I've found seem to indicate you have to have the movies/shows stored on a local machine in order to stream them to your Apple TV.

What I'd like to do, though, is be able to see everything I've purchased on my ipad/iphone remote app, select them and watch it in the Apple TV. Is this possible?

I realize this can be done by streaming content to an ios device, then streaming via airplay to the Apple TV, but I'd like to see if I can cut out using the ios device as a content distributer and only use the remote app.

If this has been done before I apologize I missed it. Thanks!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

That's what the Videos app is for, not the Remote.
    Then again, you shall see all your purchased directly on aTV as well.

3. BigDaddy5 thread starter macrumors member

Isn't that just using the ipad to stream twice, though? Or am I misunderstanding how iCloud works?

The way I'm reading it, if I use the videos app, it's streaming to the ipad. The you use airplay to stream it to the Apple TV. This would be a big battery drain on the ipad, it would seem.

I'd like to just browse the movie from the ipad, then take it out of the loop, essentially. I'm not sure if that's possible, though.

4. niteflyr, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013

niteflyr macrumors 6502a

The Apple Remote App only controls the Apple TV. All purchased items are available to browse, select and stream on the Apple TV itself. All items in your iTunes library are also available to stream on ATV via home sharing.

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

that's only possible if you use the Remote app to
    a) navigate your iCloud collection on aTV screen (control) or
    b) navigate your homeshared iTunes library and kick off a streaming session from iTunes. This won't be iCloud streaming, of course. But that's the only possibility to browse your movie collection on Remote app and kick off streaming directly between aTV and homesharing server.

6. BigDaddy5 thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks! I was afraid this was the case. Thanks for the explanation.

7. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Can't you just start watching on your iOS device then stop it and start it on the Apple TV? iCloud will keep track of where you stop the movie and continue where you left off.

8. BigDaddy5 thread starter macrumors member

Absolutely. I can easily get the iCloud movies on the aTV no problem. Just was curious if it was possible to do that without using the ipad as a streaming hub, taking it out of the loop.

9. Roy Hobbs macrumors 68000

Roy Hobbs

Just use the AppleTV to stream from iCloud. You don't need an iPad to do that.

10. Dobbs2 macrumors 6502

Yep just navigate to the purchased section of movies, tv shows or music on the ATV and hit play. It will stream from iCloud.