Remote.app

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mekopolis, Jul 11, 2008.

1. mekopolis macrumors regular

how do you get this to work?
    it says to Control Itunes, Open Itunes and select "Ipod" from the devices List

then some instruction for Apple Tv

It gives you a Passcode

those are very vague instructions
    and when I select Ipod from the devices, it does nothing

in the preferences it is checked to look for remotes

2. conair360 macrumors newbie

on the left where you playlists are and everything, ur ipod will pop up when u open remote app. CLick on it and enter the code.....it took me a while to....

But it makes u wonder....why not have wireless syncs if apple can do this much?!

3. mekopolis thread starter macrumors regular

See I dont get that Remote Pop Up at anypoint, Connected/sync'd
    it just has music/movies/tvshows/audiobooks

and I dont see a tab after the summary part either...

I've restarted the remote app whilst still connected too...and nothing...

i'll keep trying

thanks

4. mekopolis thread starter macrumors regular

5. ChaosCon macrumors newbie

Why dont you try telekinesis at http://www.blacktree.com/ ? It's got some remote functionality built in - but it can do other sweet stuff too =D

6. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

Is anyone else having problems with the remote app? I follow the directions with the passcode and entering it in my itunes but then I get the message on my Touch "Could not find Library."

7. SillyRabbit894 macrumors newbie

Is it PLUGGED IN? What would be the point of a connected remote lol.

8. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

Yes, it's plugged in through the USB....I'll keep trying.

9. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Maybe that's your error, unplug it. I did mine while I had it in my hand and it showed up in iTunes over the network, click it, enter the code and "Boom". :)

10. myuserid08 macrumors 6502

Its very simple:
    Plug your iPod into the computer you want the iPod to control.
    Click on the remote app on the iPod
    It will ask you to choose which playlist you want to access.
    It will then show a 4 digit code.
    Go back to iTunes click on the iPod (under devices) and expand the list, if it isn't already.
    Towards the bottom you will see the remote iPod device, click on that.
    Enter the 4 digit code.
    Disconnect your iPod and away you go.

You need to be within WiFi range for the app to work.

11. skipperj macrumors newbie

They do have to be on the same network to work. I had a wireless router and a regular router. They both had to be on the wireless to work correctly.

Yes, I know I can set them up to be the same "network", but I haven't yet.

Also, when you bring up the remote app, it will show you a passcode. Then, on the left, an additional "ipod" will show up that you need to click on.

12. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I got it working via wifi, on both my bedroom winPC and my living room iMac.

Don't have it plugged into your PC.
    Make sure wifi is on, and that the Touch is recognized on your wireless network. I had to re-register my Touch with my router after the upgrade.
    Make sure iTunes is open on your PC.
    Open the remote app on your Touch.
    Add a library.
    It will show you a 4 digit code.
    A remote icon should appear in iTune on the left side, or it may go ahead and pop open a window to let you type in the same 4 digits in itunes. Click on that remote icon if you don't see the 4 digit prompt.

Once you have your PC's library connected, you'll get what looks like the music app choices. Playlists, Artists, Albums, Search, more... etc. on the Touch.

If you get great sound from your PC then this is highly recommended by me. If your PC speakers sound worse than your Touch earbuds then don't bother.

13. UtahWJR macrumors member

Installed app this morning - works ok but I'm a little disappointed since you still need your regular remote to a lot of things (like turn on/off).

Not a complete replacement but works well for what it does.

14. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

Man, I know this isn't complicated and I've followed the directions to a tee, but it's still not working. Maybe I'll delete the app and download it again.

15. Shanesan macrumors 6502

Shanesan

You need to both be on the same Wifi network since thats how it works - over Wifi.

Are you?

16. pisces03x macrumors regular

I had this problem when I first downloaded the app, but I found out that my Bonjour service has been disabled from starting up automatically with my computer. (Yes, I run Windows)

To fix it, I went Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. When you load this list, it's alphabetical and the service that I had disabled was simply called "Bonjour Service". I double clicked and set it to automatic. Restarted, and voila it works.

If it's working properly, it's VERY simple to set up: iTunes automatically puts your iPod in the source list; you just click and enter the 4-digit code on the iPod when you run Remote.

Not sure if this fixes the problem on a Mac.

17. Metsfan7450 macrumors regular

Metsfan7450

I solved my problem after reading another thread on the app store forum. Apparently a lot of other folks are having the same problem as me. It has to do with your firewall settings.....see steps below:

1. Enable Sharing on iTunes
    2. Go to Firewall (In Security on System Prefs)
    3. There are 3 radio buttons, select the 3rd one
    4. Below the box, click the + icon, a window will appear. Select iTunes, it will default to Allow Incoming Connections.

18. JeffMonty macrumors member

Just followed MetsFan's step-by-step instructions after trying to follow general instructions given by Apple (without success) and it worked immediately. Thanks

19. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Trust me, it is worth your time.

Option 1:
    • Open iTunes
    • Launch Remote on your iPod
    • Get the passcode
    • Expand the list under your iPod in the devices tab
    • Click 'iPod Remote' or whatever it says
    • Enter the Passcode

Option 2:
    • Close iTunes
    • Launch Remote app on your iPod
    • Get the Passcode
    • Launch iTunes
    • Click 'iPod Remote' or whatever it says, this time it will be viewable without expanding anything in the devices tab
    • Enter the Passcode

20. mexicocola macrumors newbie

My iPod Touch wouldn't work because Bonjour was turned off, I had disabled it and forgotten. I turned it back on with

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

21. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Complete Instructions

I had the same thing, I was like, "Huh?!" when it said how to make it work. So here are instructions for Mac & PC:

Mac OS X Leopard 10.5.4:
    0.5: Make Sure You Are Connected To Your HOME WiFi, not EGDE or the neighbor's WiFi & that you can access the 'net on your iPod Touch/iPhone
    0.9: Go to System Preferences, choose 'Security', hit the 'Firewall' tab, make sure the 'Set access for specific services & applications' optin is checked, and make sure iTunes is in that list. If not, hit the '+' icon, find iTunes from the list that appears, and hit ok. Close System Preferences.
    1: DISCONNECT The iPod/iPhone
    2: Open iTunes
    3: Open Remote.app on iPod Touch/iPhone
    4: Take not of the password, eg 3994 might be what it shows. DON'T exit the app!
    5: Go to iTunes, and under the "Devices" list where your iPod Touch/iPhone usually appears when connected, and click the 'iPod Remote' icon.
    6: Enter the password into the screen that appears.
    7: Press OK, and it should say "Your remote will now work" or similar.
    8: Enjoy controlling your iTunes library from your iPod Touch/iPhone!

PC (Windows XP/Vista):
    0.4: Make Sure You Are Connected To Your HOME WiFi, not EGDE or the neighbor's WiFi & that you can access the 'net on your iPod Touch/iPhone
    0.7: Check that your firewall allows iTunes to access the internet. I you can download songs through iTunes, then it's fine.
    0.9: Make sure Bonjour (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/bonjourforwindows.html) is installed & active!! Very important!
    1: DISCONNECT The iPod/iPhone
    2: Open iTunes
    3: Open Remote.app on iPod Touch/iPhone
    4: Take not of the password, eg 3994 might be what it shows. DON'T exit the app!
    5: Go to iTunes, and under the "Devices" list where your iPod Touch/iPhone usually appears when connected, and click the 'iPod Remote' icon.
    6: Enter the password into the screen that appears.
    7: Press OK, and it should say "Your remote will now work" or similar.
    8: Enjoy controlling your iTunes library from your iPod Touch/iPhone!

If these instructions don't work please let me know, I'm happy to help. I can help you with all 3 versions (Leopard, XP & Vista)

I hope this clears it up for you all.

SuperMacMan

22. itzdemo macrumors regular

itzdemo

why not just control the whole computer from anywhere ? LOL

check out this site for ipod touch and iphone 100% free

seems it's MUCH EASYER TO DO THIS ONE !@! :eek:

Befree4iPhone - http://www.ewe-software.de/en/download.html

prev of site -

With Befree4iPhone you can remote control your PC directly from your Apple iPhone or iPod Touch. Just install Befree4iPhone on your PC and you will get full access to all its content from the safari browser on your iPhone or Ipod Touch. You will be able to see the complete desktop, zoom in, perform all kind of mouseclicks and send text and key combinations to the PC. It is very close to actually be sitting in front of the computer.

23. digiphantom macrumors regular

Thanks for the tip MetsFan, it was the firewall that was causing the problems.

24. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I Can't get it to display streaming items on my ATV but I have to admit it's pretty cool for Music from Itunes, I Dusted off my old Airport ex[press, updated it, and now cancontrol the music streaming to my Altec lansing 604 in the kitchen, pretty neat

25. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Superb FREE app, much the same as remote buddy which was mac only and worked through safari so wasnt as slick as this, i think i'll be purchasing an airtunes soon.