Remote Car Start

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Does anybody have a remote car start system with their iPhone?

I've been looking them up and 3 main ones seem to pop up. Clifford, Viper, and python (and they seem to be the exact same company or something....). But apparently they don't work anymore with 4.0.

Does anyone have any experience with these or others.

Also what's the difference between a) "Remote Start System with SmartStart" ($500) and b) "SmartStart Module for Viper Remote Start Systems "($300).

I'm guessing you need A for the whole thing and B only if you already have a "viper remote start system", but how can you get that without already having the smartstart....

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I got the viper smartstart.
    It's pretty cool and even alerts me when the alarm goes off. Lock, unlock, remote start and pop the trunk from the phone.

3. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I checked into the Viper one and since my car has a push button start, I would have to lose one of my extra keys. Apparently when you have something like this, they have to keep the extra key in a module box underneath the dash somewhere for it to all work. I didn't like that idea and have since given up on the remote start for my car.

4. Gman257 macrumors newbie

You can get a bypass module instead of losing a key

5. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

what is the bypass module you're speaking of? this was not mentioned when I've spoke with several installers.

6. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I have 5902 in my 2010 altima. Iphone app works fine. 4.0.1 here.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They actually have a new box/system now that does not require a key to bypass the cars built in security system.
    It was $25 more than the one with the factory key inside so I went with that.
    It is available like mentioned above, maybe the place you went didnt have it.
    More details here: http://www.viper.com/SmartStart/iPhone/

Here's what the universal key bypass module looks like
    [​IMG]

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

how much did you pay total? and did you already have an alarm or did you get a full viper alarm with it?

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No alarm prior, I had the viper alarm installed with the smartstart module.
    I believe the whole alarm with remote starter, smartstart module, key bypass module and installation was $700.
    The first year of service is included. After that, the annual fee is $29.99 per year. Viper SmartStart is an “always-on” connected device that communicates over the GSM network. Just like a cell phone it requires a service plan from 3rd party provider to communicate over the network.

10. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just be careful. My wife's Aunt had her car stolen out of her driveway when using one of those. She had alarm alerts as well. It didn't stop the thief.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing can stop a thief if they really want to steal your car IMO.
    Your phone will start ringing/siren alerting you as soon as the alarm goes off though. Offcourse if you're sleeping, dont hear it or your phone is on silent it wont help much:D

12. sdsvtdriver macrumors 65816

Yes, Directed Electronics owns all those brands. They bought Clifford years back.

13. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So then what's the difference between them?

14. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I use the Viper system on my company car, a Ford Fusion Sport. Works awesome.

I use the factory alarm. I only needed the remote start portion of the Viper System.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

so if viper works with 4.0 why are all the reviews bashing it saying it's now broken and viper has abandoned the people?

16. romeo.xk macrumors 6502a

I do have it on my I4, the app works, but it has not been updated for a long time!!!, when I first got the system I was using a BB 9700, and they never added the push notification, the main problem with them is that they just worry about adding a new platform for new phones so they can get more customers, while not making sure the ones they have can take a full advantage of the service... While I like my viper system, I'm no too impress with them as a company...

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Not sure what they say. It works fine with my i4 on 4.0.1 and worked great on my 3GS before. Some people think any viper alarm will work without even installing the smartstart module and making sure their alarm and remote starter is compatible.
    The only bug I noticed is that when the alarm goes off I get the notification on my phone but the time thats listed on the app that it went off is always in pacific time. I guess thats where their location is based off so if you're on Eastern time its just displays it 3 hours off.