Remote configuration and simplification.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bigpoppamac31, Jan 9, 2016.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Hello. So I just bought the new Apple TV and want to join it into my "home theatre" set up. My set up consists of the following: LG 43" 1080p TV, Rogers cable box, Sony blu-ray player S5500, Sony HT-CT380 sound bar and now Apple TV. The cable tv may end up getting cancelled soon cause we may get all we need from the Apple TV. I would like to set up the system so that we have the least amount of remotes in use as possible. All the devices listed have remotes. My ideal set up is to connect the cable, BD player and ATV to the sound bar via HDMI and then an HDMI to the TV. I'd switch inputs on the sound bar. Right now everything is connected to the TV and it's optical audio to the sound bar. How can I configure the ATV remote so that I can eliminate the LG tv remote? I seem to be able to get the ATV remote to turn on the TV and the ATV at the same time. But I can't seem to get it to turn off the TV only if I'm watching cable or blu-ray. If want to watch cable tv or a blu-ray I shouldn't have to turn on the ATV when I turn on the TV. Also how can I get it so that when I turn on the ATV and TV it switches the TV input automatically? Right now the ATV is connected to my TV but when I turn them on it doesn't switch the tv input so I just get a blank screen. I have to switch the input with the TV remote. Sorry for all the questions. I'm just new to the ATV world. I think turning on/off my TV exclusively with the ATV remote is my biggest concern. I shouldn't have to switch inputs to the ATV to put it to sleep and therefore turn off the TV.

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Sounds like you'll have re-think they way you've got your audio wired up...

3. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well as I mentioned I want to connect all my devices (ATV, BD player and cable) to the sound bar and the sound bar to the TV. All via HDMI. I think that would be the simplest way. As long as I can turn the TV on and off exclusively with the ATV remote I can eliminate the LG tv remote.

4. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

The ATV remote cannot be "programmed" to control your TV.

The ATV utilizes HDMI-CEC functions of the TV for control of on, off, input switching, volume. TV manufacturers implement these functions, so they vary by manufacturer and also by model. There are no standards for implementation. Interplay of devices by different manufacturers can pose problems, although having devices from just one manufacturer isn't a guarantee of success either.

Refer to your TV manual for specific functions and connection configuration.

Universal remotes which can be programmed are popular. Many use the Harmony Hub (+remote and/or Google or IOS app) which is compatible with ATV, however you don't have Siri nor the "home" button. But you could use just the two the remotes, ATV and Harmony, to control all of your equipment with all features.

5. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

So basically I still have to use my TV remote to turn on/off the tv if I want to watch something other than the ATV.

6. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Yes

7. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that's a bummer. All my TV remote would be used for is turning it on or off. Audio and input switching would be through the sound bar. In the end all I'd want is three remotes. The ATV, sound bar and blu-ray player. Guess that's too much to ask.

8. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Harmony Hub, then only 2. Bestbuy when on sale at 60usd. You can easily build macros for multiple activities to turn on/off, input switch, etc. 1 button press and everything changes.

9. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Is this what you're talking about?? http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/product/harmony-hub?crid=60 $130 CAD for a remote is pretty insane.

10. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Possibly your soundbar and tv both have HDMI-CEC, then soundbar could send on/off to TV.

The Harmony probably can control your cable box also, if you keep cable.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2016 ---
    Agree with the insane, but do you have BestBuy? 1/2 when on sale. Also refurbs on eBay, same price as BB.

11. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

12. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Probably would work for everthing except ATV4, too new. If it has pre programmed device codes, then ATV3 codes would work, as 4=3 codes. You would need to investigate. Don't think macros would be included at that price.

Try the HDMI-CEC first.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 10, 2016 ---
    Your Sony soundbar is HDMI-CEC compatible (pretty nice, too...300 watts...that's insane)

Check your TV. If yes, hopefully they'll cooperate and then no TV remote needed.

13. bigpoppamac31, Jan 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2016

bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Not sure what macros are. But the LG tv may not be new enough to have HDMI-CEC. I believe it's about 3 years old.

EDIT: Just checked and the TV does have HDMI-CEC. What I'm not seeing is whether the TV has HDMI ARC support. Here's the page. http://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-42LE5300-led-tv

14. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

Macros are a collection of steps which can be used to define what one button press will do. On my Harmony, I just press ONE button. Turns TV on, switches input, switches my receiver on, switches input, turns on ATV4.
    If later, I just want to listen to FM music, press another button...turns TV off, switches input on receiver...currently doesn't turn off ATV4, as there is no code yet, but if it was ATV3, it turns that off.

Re: ARC and CEC. Your best bet is to try the config that you want and test. ARC and CEC are both non standardized, as I explained prior re: CEC. All configs are variable and are specific to each device.

Simple explanation of ARC....... http://www.cnet.com/news/what-is-audio-return-channel-arc/

Good luck

15. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Thanks for the info. I think I've managed to work it out in such a way that I only have two remotes on the go at any given time. So all my devices (ATV, BD player, cable box) are connect via HDMI to the sound bar and one HDMI from there to the TV. So for example if I want to use the ATV I grab that remote and the sound bar remote. The ATV remote turns on the ATV and TV while the sound bar remote controls that and switches between inputs. Same goes for the other devices. I just use the respective device remote and the sound bar remote. Any of the remotes (except sound bar) can turn on or off the TV. It works for now at least and it gets rid of the TV remote which was my desire all along anyways.

16. DebbieFL33 macrumors regular

You're welcome. Anytime you can eliminate remotes, it's a win. We have eight devices, mix of CEC/ARC capable that don't always play nice with each other. That is why we use the Harmony. Makes it simple for guests also.

17. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Maybe I'll check out the harmony at some point. But for now this works. We're probably getting rid of cable anyway so that's another remote gone. I was messing around with the settings and such for ~2 hours earlier trying to get it right. I thought all this tech was designed to make life easier. :rolleyes: :D