Remote connection from pc to mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Lazzer R1, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lazzer R1 macrumors member

Hi,

At the moment, I can RDP from my work machine (Windows PC) to my home machine (Windows PC).

I am waiting delivery of an imac. Is there anyway to connect remotely from my work machine (Windows PC) to my iMac?

Also, as i do not have a static ip, i also install the no-ip service. Anything like this for the mac?

Thanks,
    L.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

NoIP's DNS updated app is available for OS X - there's a GUI version and also a daemon that will run in the background.

With regard to remote desktop, OS X supports VNC out of the box - you just need to enable it - open system prefs/sharing. Go to screen sharing, enable it and click the computer settings button. Check the VNC box and enter a password. Bingo =]

I use this system to control remote Macs on a daily basis. By the way, you can also do this the other way around - MS RDC is available for OS X, but better yet, grab CoRD, which is an open-source equivalent - works real well.

Enjoy your new Mac! :)

3. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

I use the free version of logmein.com
    it's really fantastic and if your IP happens to change in the middle of the day, like mine does once a year, it won't make a difference, since it follows your connection.

Edit:

it's web based and runs your desktop in a browser very effectively

4. Lazzer R1 thread starter macrumors member

As I use a hot desk at work, I am unable to install software on the pc's.

As suggested by Madgoat, logmein works perfectly and needed no firewall configuration ....... not sure if this is a good thing or not though?!