Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nehmia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Hello, first post here. I've been a reader on this site for a while now, but just registered.

Well, I have a MBP and my girlfriend has a MacBook. I am over seas for a year, and I would like to be able to remotely connect to her MacBook. I've heard of ARD, but does it need to be installed on BOTH machines? Are there other options or app's that are better suited to my needs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

TIA
Joe

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
If you turn on the Remote Desktop setting in the Sharing panel of System Preferences, the Mac will accept VNC connections. Then all you need is a VNC client program, which can be downloaded for free from most Mac shareware sites such as VersionTracker.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
ARD can be dead slow at times. My personal advice, "OSXvnc server" for server and "Chicken of VNC" for client. Both of them are free.

nehmia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
Thanks a lot, I'm going to have to read up on this. I've never done this before, but I should be able to figure it out. Any other info further regardeing this subject would be awesome.

nehmia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2007
I downloaded OSXVNC and CotVNC and I didn't really understand it. Again, I can figure things out pretty easily...but this is beyond my comprehension. I read that wiki posted above before on macosxhints.com, but even that is for the a person with a little script and VNC knowledge. Does anyone know a simple'er way to do this? I thought ADR admin and client would be easy, I get admin, while the gf gets client and from there we could connect to each other thus allowing me to control of her computer.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
One thing to remember, if your GF has a hardware firewall/router, you will need to create a forwarding rule to get to her machine, either that, or she needs to be in the DMZ, which is a little more risky.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005
I downloaded OSXVNC and CotVNC and I didn't really understand it. Again, I can figure things out pretty easily...but this is beyond my comprehension. I read that wiki posted above before on macosxhints.com, but even that is for the a person with a little script and VNC knowledge. Does anyone know a simple'er way to do this? I thought ADR admin and client would be easy, I get admin, while the gf gets client and from there we could connect to each other thus allowing me to control of her computer.

Here is a step-by-step tutorial on how to setup ARD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.