remote connections to os x

Discussion in 'macOS' started by msjones, Apr 23, 2010.

1. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

Ive done a forum search but everything lately is for ipad connections.

I have my router forward to dydns and all my ports for ftp, ssh, vnc open both on my mac and router.

I am able to access my mac using VNC from any computer I get access to, its just so slow. Is there a free faster alternative? Something like apple remote desktop without the price tag?

I mainly log on to run my usenet downloads or to encode video for when I get home ready to watch. Its very doable with my current method, but I wouldnt mind some extra speed.

thanks in advance!

2. msjones thread starter macrumors 6502

msjones

ive used teamviewer for supporting remote windows pcs for work. it's just getting the access codes from the remote mac depending where I am. Though I could get them first through the VNC.

Most of the machines I use away from home are linux based, does teamviewer run well in wine?

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It runs well in Windows and Mac OS X. Haven't tried it with wine, just a cold Corona or shot of tequila. :D

4. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Just took a peek at the website - they have a linux version

5. Danil macrumors newbie

use the built-in VNC feature if it has 10.4: go into System Preferences -> Sharing -> Remote Desktop or use remote desktop software. There is an option in the configuration for VNC connections which you can enable. remote desktop connection