remote connections?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by homeshire, Aug 16, 2007.

1. homeshire macrumors regular

When I try to remote connect from my g5 iMac to my wife's intel MacBook, it will allow me to do so as a guest. As such, I seem to have access to the public drop box. But when I try to copy something, it tells me I do not have sufficient privileges.

In truth, I want to connect as a registered user with password. But every attempt fails. I do not remember setting a password anywhere for this. But it sure seems to expect one.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing here? I do not have this problem when I connect to my g4 iMac. I use my system password (same for both machines) and it lets me connect as a registered user.

thanks

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok so when you go connect to server :)apple:+K), type in the IP address of the computer,
    e.g. 10.0.0.1

or the name of the computer followed by .local.
    e.g. dofot9.local

then it will bring up the user name and password, this is of the machine you are connecting to. its your wife's mac, so wat user name does she use??? put that in, then add in the password. it should then let you choose where you would want to map to (most likely the harddrive).
    that should be it. thats what i do...

3. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

that's what i do too. then it tells me in a little popup that i have used an invalid password, etc. etc. i did not set any password for this, and using her system password does not work. i just don't get it. i figure i'm missing something. this is a carry-over from her g4 iBook. I migrated from the one to the other. i could never figure it out then either. but having a new machine for her, i decided to give it another go, only asking for help.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what happens if you connect as a guest??
    are there any other accounts that you could try that are on your wifes computer?? what if you created another account as a dummy username/password that you could try to conenct with.

just some brainstorming :cool:

5. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

it allows me to connect as a guest. but it only offers the public drop box. when i open it, it says i haven't sufficient access privileges. i'd settle for that if i could escalate privileges.

funny thing is, when i'm trying to connect as a registered user, i don't even know what password it's asking for, my password,my wife's, whose???

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it would be asking for the wifes computer password AND user name, not your own computers. its because you are connecting to that computer, therefore u must use its credentials, not the foreign computers (yours comp) identification.

7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Step back and think about what is happening: you are logged onto your account on your computer. Your computer knows you are a legit user. Now, when you try to connect to your wife's computer, you have to prove to her computer that you are allowed in. The easiest way to do that is to log on with your wife's user name (or short name) and her password. Just like she does when she starts it up herself.

8. homeshire thread starter macrumors regular

DoFoT9 --

sometimes one feels like an idiot. this would be one of those moments for me. following your instructions got me in just as i wanted. something that simple that i never thought to try. thanks so much.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

haha mate, people have those all the time. i infact have them daily! im glad i could be of help. that is what i am here to do :)

enjoy your full permissions to your wifes computer hahaha