Remote Control a Mac Over The Internet

Discussion in 'macOS' started by kknupp, Jun 6, 2008.

1. kknupp macrumors member

kknupp

I am lending my grandma my old mac mini, but she is very inexperienced so I want to keep an eye on her with ARD. Trouble is she lives in her house with her ISP and I live in my house with my ISP.

Is there any way I can do this over the internet? Or will I have to use iChat Screen Sharing... Also, I have registered a dns at dynDNS.com it is pointing to the computer but says it is offline. Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

2. kostia macrumors regular

Dynamic DNS lets you find the other computer on the net, but not control it. It needs to be running a VNC server, and you a VNC client, to let you control the screen.

If the Mac mini has Leopard, go to System Preferences, then Sharing, then Screen Sharing, then click on Computer Settings and turn on VNC and set a password.

If the Mac mini is still on Tiger, download and install a VNC server. There are free options available.

Then use a VNC client on your computer, enter the dynamic DNS domain name and the password, and you should be able to remotely control the Mac mini.

If both computers have Leopard and you pay for a .Mac account, you can skip jumping through all these hoops and just use Back to My Mac. Set up the same .Mac account info on both computers and they'll be able to control each other; they'll appear in each other's Finder sidebar under "Shared."

3. The General macrumors 601

Do you have a .Mac account? If so, just set her computer up with Back To My Mac. That's what I have for my mother and my grandmother. It's very easy. They're like "Ted can you help me?" and with a couple clicks I'm using Screen Sharing and showing them how to do stuff.

When BackToMyMac is enabled on those computers, and those computers are on, they show up in the Finder just as if they are on your LAN, and you click on it and hit Screen Share. It's the best thing since cable internet. :D

[​IMG]

4. kknupp thread starter macrumors member

kknupp

No .Mac/Mobile Me but I finally figured it out after about 9 hours of sweat and toil. Thanks for the help anyway! :D

5. glassmen07 macrumors member

6. Tomaggio macrumors newbie

Easy Way to Remotely Control or Observe another Mac

Thought I'd pass this along. I found a free application that allows remote access/control without the hassle of port mapping, VNC settings, etc. Very easy to use. Both parties launch the app and exchange codes and voila! Haven't used it yet but was desperate after spending an hour with a relative on how to open a web page!

Program is called TeamViewer
    http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Nice resurrection of a 3-year old thread! I use TeamViewer daily with Macs and Windows PCs. It works flawlessly.

8. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I love that you can not only install TeamViewer on either platform, but a Mac can control a PC or vice versa. The iOS version is also pretty sweet. The only complaints I have are that a PC can be accessed with a custom password and the Mac version can't, and that my iPod can't be remotely controlled.

9. GGJstudios, Apr 29, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, the Mac version can. TeamViewer > Preferences > General

10. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Nice, thanks.