Remote Control for PPC

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jimN, Oct 13, 2007.

1. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on us seeing a remote control (possibly bluetooth) release to accompany Front Row when it finally comes to PPC machines (officially) with the release of Leopard.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Maybe on a ppc machine with an IR sensor, but I doubt Apple would give so much care to its old customers as to invent a product for obsolete hardware. But, you never know.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, for better or worse, Apple doesn't really have a good track record with making these kinds of concessions for users of older hardware. They would really like you (and me... I have no Apple remotes either) to upgrade.

Otherwise, there are several options ranging from existing dedicated remotes such as Keyspan to using bluetooth cellphones with software like Sailing Clicker. See here and here. These work now with Front Row, so it's reasonable to assume they'll be adapted (if necessary) to continue working with FR under Leopard.

So those are also essentially your options if you end up in the (probably unlikely) position of wanting to run Front Row from a Mac Pro.

4. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

Just buy a IR receiver and a apple remote and your good to go. Thats what i have for my mac pro....So all you will need is front row but that will come.

5. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

I often use my power book connected to my tv to watch movies and TV shows and I would prefer not to have to plug in an IR receiver. I appreciate that Apple would rather I just upgrade. Oh well. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and wait and see.

6. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

you have to plug in another IR receiver, your pb doesnt have an IR port of its own for youd obviously need a 3rd party option

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

does any company? ;)

8. shrewsburywolf macrumors regular

shrewsburywolf

I use bluetooth on my moblie to run Front Row on my PowerBook G4, it works fine.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I don't blame Apple, but does any company have a better track record than Apple in supporting legacy hardware? Yeah, I think honestly, some do. Microsoft enabled all the Zune 2 features on the original Zune via an update. They're even the same company that went out of their way to make USB bluetooth dongles available so that their bluetooth keyboards and mice could be usable on Windows PCs that didn't have them.

I'm not saying I want to go back to Windows. I'm just saying that, yes, companies differ on what they offer to their customers. This particular thing is not a strength of Apple's.

10. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

if you install leopard onto your ppc machines without doubt you will have to enable FR somehow (i read how to somewhere in these forums ???).

that is not that far apart from the itunes/ipod thing. apple made it so that the average computer user HAS to use itunes. meaning that itunes must be bought (yes it comes with the ipod i know). but people would have to download the software. which could mean some potential switchers to apple software, which could inevitably make them use macs. :) its all about the marketing and potential switchers.