Remote control of a PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sallylynn812, Sep 29, 2011.

1. sallylynn812 macrumors member

My mother is horrible with computers and I was wondering if there was a way for me to use my mac to control her PC as to help her with some things.

Is this possible and if so, what can I use?

2. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Try www.gotomypc.com.

I've never used them, but that service will do exactly what you're asking for.

3. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Also, www.logmein.com. I use their service and my mac to control PC's all over the world.

----------

Found out recently that some consumer versions of windoze such as XP home edition do not support hosting remote desktop. Also, you would have to poke a hole in her firewall to use this.

4. velocityg4, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I have used both with client computers. If you want something free logmein is the way to go. For paid versions though I would use gotomypc as logmein seems to be slower. With logmein I usually have to switch to grayscale or the stuttering is too annoying. While gotomypc works great at millions of colors these are with cable modem connections. DSL on either end will force either to lower detail settings.

Edit: I was able to get a good comparison of the two because for some reason one of my clients had both logmein and gotomypc services running on their server with a 20/4 mbps business cable connection to my 15/3 connection.

5. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I keep forgetting I hacked one of the work computers to enable it

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The last time I used LogMeIn it was free, so that's an option as others have stated.