Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ICEBreaker

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2007
Hi Mac users,

This is not strictly a "Windows on Mac" question, but I believe it is a question best posed to Windows users.

I wish to control my PC/XP from my Mac,. Which is the best software for this and how should it be setup?

I've tried installing UltraVNC server on the PC/XP, and controlling it on the Mac through the JavaViewer. However, the quality is abysmal. On 64 colours, the refreshing was poor, and on full colour, there was no refreshing at all. Note that the two computers are next to each other, and connected via a router - bandwidth is not an issue here. I've also tried using UltraVNC connected via the server/client model (i.e. not JavaViewer, but actual apps client) on two PC/XPs with the same result. Despite so many good reviews of UltraVNC, my experience has been extremely poor. Is it my problem, or does UltraVNC have some issues with refreshing properly?

Does anyone have any experience with other VNCs? Which is the best server/client combination?

Thank you!
JC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.