Remote Control Windows PC from my mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thriii, May 28, 2008.

1. thriii macrumors 6502

I have a friend that isnt very good with computers so I help her out alot through a remote connection. I've tried LogMeIn, and UVNC.. both of these were pretty slow im guessin because they were browser based :confused: and they limited the colors to 256 or 64 colors.. UVNC had full colors, but it froze when i selected that setting on anyones computer. is there anything out there thats faster & allows all colors as if I was right there lookin at the screen?

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

Download the RDP Client from Apple or Mactopia. It says BETA, but it works fine. You get full colors, etc. and have options to connect. It's the same as the Windows version...

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

You're limited by the bandwidth between the two machines - both upload and download, just like video chatting through iChat is.

If one machine has a slower connection than the other, then the limiting factor will be the machine with the slowest connection. There are tools that allow more colors, but transmitting that much information takes bandwidth one of the computers might not have.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i use TightVNC in Windows to remote control my Mac running Leopard and vice versa. EDIT: RDP doesnt do this.

if your running Leopard you dont need a VNC client as its built in but if your running Tiger use Chicken Of The VNC or something similar.

to do this install Tight VNC on the PC and set it up. its pretty self explanitory and opens the right ports in the Windows firewall.

alls you have to do in Leopard is tick "Screen Sharing" in Sharing Preferences, add a password in options and then in the Finder press cmd+K (or choose Connect to Server in the Go menu) and type "VNC:\\the PC's IP address and input the PC's password.

then to control the Mac from the PC launch TightVNC server, type in your Mac's IP address and input the password you set before.

note: you will have to know the PC's and Macs local IP address to do this. a tip would be to get your router to give static IPs or assign IPs by MAC address so you know them.

P.S. there is a hint here to give you more options for Leopard's VNC client for colours and privacy which might help you and also gives you a recents list so you dont have to use the Connect to Server method.

5. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

very helpful :) didnt expect to get so many answers so soon :) I'm going to try all these options! but to test connecting from the viewer installed with leopard where do I find that?

I found it, but what should my friend do on her end?

6. thriii thread starter macrumors 6502

7. RaffttaM macrumors newbie

It appears that when entering the server, "VNC" must be in lower case otherwise it fails to connect.

So it would be "vnc:\\ IP" rather than "VNC:\\ IP"

Just in case people try it and it doesn't work.