Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
I need to be able to control a headless Mini+HD on my own network, which has no keyboard or mouse attached, from any of my other Macs. What's the deal? Do I have to use VNC? What is VNC? Can I use ARD Client? I'm somewhat floundering here. :eek: :(

R.Youden

macrumors 68020
Apr 1, 2005
I have the same setup (mini + no mouse or keyboard) and I use Chicken of the VNC. Easy to use and works perfectly.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
This guide might help: http://guides.macrumors.com/Remotely_Controlling_another_Mac

Or not. :p

ARD is built on top of VNC and there are plenty of clients and servers for OS X.

B
I've been looking at that guide, but I thought there might be an easier way if everything's on the same LAN. I guess I'll give it a shot, though I haven't really the slightest idea what it's all about yet. :eek:

I have the same setup (mini + no mouse or keyboard) and I use Chicken of the VNC. Easy to use and works perfectly.
Great. Is that all you need, or do you have to set up ARD Client, too?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Quick version of the guide for in-home (as opposed to from the internet) use:

1. On the mini, to which you'll need to attach a KB, mouse and display for a few minutes unless you're very adept with shell commands, go into System Preferences...->Sharing->Services and turn on "Apple Remote Desktop", which will ask (er, require) you to set a password. Set it, make sure ARD is on, and then you're basically done from the mini's point of view.
  2. On your other systems, download Chicken of the VNC, start it up, check "Use Bonjour" on the "Chicken of the VNC menu", and you should see the mini.
  3. Click on the mini in the menu, enter the password, and click Connect.
  4. Bob should be, at this point, your uncle.
Great. Is that all you need, or do you have to set up ARD Client, too?
VNC server, actually, which is what you do when you enable it on the mini. :)

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
That's what I needed to know. Thanks. I knew I had uncles by the names of John and Roddy, but Bob was never really spoken of. Bit of a black sheep, I suspect...

Do I have to check Remote Login on the Mini as well?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I forgot to mention two things.

First, when setting up ARD, be sure to check the following checkbox in the setup panel:

ARDPermission.png

Also, I think you need to pick a user - also in that same panel - and give them the all the permissions, but I could be wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.