Remote/Controller Layout Guesses

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Ferazel, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Ferazel macrumors regular

Anyone have any thoughts on what they expect from the new AppleTV remote?

I don't think Apple is going to seriously invest in top of the line gaming controller. Even if gaming is hugely successful on the platform is targeted to home theater owners first, gamers probably a distance third or fourth market for the product. I think it's going to use a modified interface of the existing AppleTV remote. There already are apps optimized for the interface paradigm already established by the existing AppleTV.

If I had to guess, I would peg the remote/controller looking as follows:
    [​IMG]
    I'm thinking a smaller Wii-esque controller. Larger than the current remote, but smaller than a Wii remote. Instead of a D pad it would have a touch sensitive scroll wheel. You could navigate tapping the scroll pad or ala iPod classic or Apple Watch, with rotational movement on the touch area. The center of the touchpad would also acts as a button. I'm not sure if the center would be a physical button or if the entire area would function like a small version of a touch pad on a MacBook Pro. There are two input buttons and a microphone for Siri (which I imagine by tapping and holding the center/select button) similar to iOS's home button. It will most likely communicate via bluetooth and be useable in vertical for home theater, horizontal for gaming. There is an embedded gyroscope for motion sense/tilt input gameplay.

What do you think the new AppleTV remote will look like?

2. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

If they think a 'donut' with a button in the middle is a good idea for a d-pad, that would all but confirm how out-of-touch Apple is with gaming. Especially with how (arguably) hard they try to take UI so seriously.

I don't think the Apple Remote is ever going to double as a makeshift controller. I don't even think Apple is going to attempt console gaming with an Apple TV.