Remote controls

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nosnhojm, Mar 13, 2013.

?

Which remote do you use with your Apple TV?

1. Apple TV Remote

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. Remote App for iOS

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. Logitech Harmony

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. nosnhojm macrumors regular

nosnhojm

I've been using a Harmony One with my Apple TV for awhile, but am disappointed in the slow/laggy response of the remote when compared to the Apple TV remote. I prefer an all-in-one remote to control my entire home theater system, but have not been satisfied with the Harmony. What does everyone else use for their remote?

2. stavs macrumors newbie

I've been using a Harmony One as well (getting a 900 tomorrow) and I havent experienced any issues. I use it control the AppleTV (BT keyboard also) and use it for Plex. Its been rock solid for years with Plex acting as an "Apple Remote."

3. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I have a Harmony 650 (I think that's the right model). I haven't experienced any lag. Putting the ATV to sleep is kind of iffy if I'm not on the home screen.

I also sometimes use the Remote app, but that's usually just when I need to use a keyboard.

4. nosnhojm thread starter macrumors regular

nosnhojm

What I mean by slow/laggy is the responsiveness from when I press the button until the Apple TV receives the signal. When using the Apple TV remote, it is near instantaneous; with the harmony it is not.

Try navigating the Apple TV home screen...press the Harmony button...and note the delay until the selector on the Apple TV moves. This delay is much less so with the Apple TV remote.

5. GarrettL1979 macrumors 6502

Same here.

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Recently replaced a Mac mini+Plex+apple remote with an Apple TV + Apple TV remote in one location in the house. No other signal sources.

I'm *very* disappointed that the Apple TV remote (and the Apple TV for that matter) does not offer volume control. So I've got to use a second remote for volume.

Our family room has our only TV, DVR, and BluRay player and has a Mac mini + Plex. We use a Harmony One for that location.

(BTW, the Mac mini + Plex + apple remote moved to another room where it replaced a 10 year old Dell PC being used as an entertainment server.)

7. cdavis11 macrumors 6502

Harmony One on my main machine, older harmony 600 series in the basement and a cheapie remote that came with the tv used in my bedroom.

All work just fine.

I am tempted to replace the harmony one with the new harmony touch. We don't use the number buttons, and it looks like a simpler remote overall. Just not too excited about $250 to upgrade a perfectly good remote....yet.

8. djgcue macrumors member

I have 3 Harmony Ones. I use mine on both my Apple TV and WDTVs.