Remote cross-border back-up system - possible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nubben, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Nubben macrumors regular

Nubben

Hi all - I have a question that might have been answered already but have been unable to find an answer in the forums.

What I wnat to achieve is basically a cross border back-up of files. I currently have a MacBook Air (Mountain Lion) with two 3TB WD Thunderbolt drives in RAID 0 set-up - so have 3TB of files and 3TB of back-ups of the same files. However, being a bit paranoid, I would like to set-up a remote back-up system that would would allow me to back-up files from London, UK to a QNAP/Synology NAS in Sweden.

Has anyone attempted this and can suggest a brand that will play nicely with Macs?

Basically, I would like to have a remote drive in Sweden where I can safely back-up my files and do so over the Internet.

The location in Sweden is using an Airport Express to access the Internet - can I hook up a NAS of some description to it? Of course, tehre is an actual modem as well but the remote portion is being handled by an Airport Express.

Would anyone be able to steer me in the right direction?

Many thanks!

Nubben

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

First of all... if you are using RAID 0 you do NOT have two copies of your files... you have you files striped across both drives... so if either drive fails you lose 100% of your data.

Secondly... in case you are actually using RAID 1 (which is what it sounds like from your description)... then you still do not have a "backup" of your data... RAID is never backup.

I use Crashplan+ for cloud based backup and also TM for local backup. Crashplan allows you to backup to a "friend" over the internet and will do what you want.

/Jim