Remote desktop 3 connecting outside network

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mmartin40, Aug 29, 2008.

1. mmartin40 macrumors newbie

i have been fighting with remote desktop version 3, trying to connect to my daughters computer which is on a different network in our house. i am connected wirelessly on an airport with a specific internet provider. she is connected wirelessly via airport express on a different internet provider. the computers are unable to connect when on different networks, if i switch my network to her airport i can see the computer, any suggestions. the reason i am testing this is i want to set up 4 mac minis in studio outside of house and want to access them through rd3, which is supposed to be possible. please help going nuts, thanks

solution didnt work, please advise again

2. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

It more then likely that the proper ports are not open and the IP address are not updating.

You will need a static IP (or a static name that maps to a dynamic IP) to be able to access the computer outside the network.

I use a service at dyndns.com. It is pretty simple to set up and they have a little tool that is installed to keep everything up to date.

3. adammilwiw macrumors newbie

Remote Desktop more than one computer outside network

Hi!
    I want to acces outside network with few computers. I set routers to foward proper ports for ARD and set dyndns host name for IP. Everything works perfect but I can connect only to one computer which ports are fowarded for. What I can do to be able to connect all computers of outside network using Apple Remote Desktop 3.2? VPN somehow?:confused:

4. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

You will need to forward ports for ALL computers that you want to access on the inside. Some routers will allow this and some may not. I know on my D-Link i can do what is called a virtual server. I can forward an outside port (say 55555) to and inside one (the ARD one) to the specified IP for that computer.