Remote Desktop app for Windows/Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by oldhifi, Jan 17, 2014.

1. oldhifi, Jan 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2014

oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I plan on buying a used Imac 17 to 21 inch for my mother in law, she only sends email and does some on line shopping. Most of these machines have Lion or Snow Leopard on it, can I do a remote desktop on these IMacs? Sometimes she calls and I have to fix her Windows computer (now broke) over the phone. I just thought it would be easy if I could log into her desktop and see what is going on? any suggestions on software? I would only log in from my Mac Mini.

Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently. Also, TeamViewer doesn't affect audio settings on OS X, as many have reported that LogMeIn does.

3. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Why don't you get her an iPad? Does she want something with a big screen? If not, then maybe she should get an iPad instead..

4. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

she does not like laptops or tablets..she wants to set at her desk, but thanks for the reply.

----------

Sounds great..so any of these Core 2 duo Imac's would work? I am trying to stay under $500 for this setup..

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, I can still run TeamViewer on a 6 yr old C2D MBP.

6. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Thanks for posting this. I will try Teamviewer. I have been looking for something to help my 85 year old father with his iMac. He's 2000 miles away and it takes forever to talk him through stuff.

7. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Teamviewer is certainly a good option. I use iChat with my father and just use the option to take remote control of his screen. He doesn't have to install anything, just accept my invitation for remote screen sharing.

EDIT: Of course you can use iChat only with other Macs. Teamviewer is multi-platform.

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Another vote for team viewer. Very easy to use.

9. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

That's what I used in the past but isn't iChat gone now?

10. oldhifi thread starter macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

I know how you feel.. and thanks guys for the posts

11. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

No, iChat is still there. In Mavericks Apple removed iChat theatre, which allowed for sharing of videos and pictures directly when in a video chat. Everything else is still there.