Remote Desktop Application?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thecoolone1, Feb 24, 2010.

1. thecoolone1 macrumors regular

Is there any sort of Remote Desktop Application available any would recommend?

I have a friend who needs help with her mac and I want to help her but I don't know any kind of app I could use to view her desktop. I know ALONG time ago when I was using Windows there was some sort of Remote Desktop client that would let me do that and also take control of their desktop as well, which I'm looking to do in Mac OS X. She's running 10.4 and I'm running 10.6 (not sure if that matters.

Is there any such app I could use in Skype? or just any app in general would be fine.

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You might give LogMeIn a try.

Works well with Macs and PCs. There is a free version.

3. thecoolone1 thread starter macrumors regular

Will it let me take control of their Mac? and all I do is download it and she downloads it as well?

4. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

I use Teamviewer and Logmein

I think Logmein is progressively getting better than TV

I use CoRD for Mac > Windows RDP

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've used logmein in the past and I'm a current user of gotomypc, which is more expensive then logmein. I've opted for the latter for a couple of reasons. First my company has blocked access to logmein completely and I also use the remote access application to access my work computer. So gotomypc works for both my workstation and Mac. Plus I found the application to be a bit faster then logmein. The primary reason though is that I can access gotomypc from work

6. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

ARD is nice, but expensive, and more suited for when you control both local and remote computers.

The various VNC options are sometimes free but can be fiddly to set up, deal with firewalls etc.

I've started using TeamViewer a lot as it's free for personal use, deals with firewalls automatically, and is quite easy to walk someone through setting it up over the phone or via email.

I always though LogMeIn was a paid application, but using your link, I see it's also free for personal use. What are the benefits over TeamViewer?

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

ARD is wonderful for local network computers.

However, I've not been able to get ARD to work well with remote sites.

There is a free version of LogMeIn. LogMeIn works well.

I too will be interested in the comparison with TeamViewer.

Yes. You will access her computer via the Web. She will download a small image, install it, then enter your e-mail and password. I created a gmail account just for this purpose.

Once the computers are linked, you can change the password on the account.

On her computer, she will need an administrative account which is how you access her computer. Once the link is completed, then you can log in and out of any account, restart the computer, shut it down, etc.

In fact, right now I am controlling a remote iMac and updating my Parallels PC image as I type this. I've already updated Mac OS X, Adobe Reader, Stuffit, etc.

Very convenient. :)

Edit: Forgot to mention. There is a LogMeIn app for the iPhone/iPod touch. Nice way to admin computers in an emergency.

8. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I have ARD working with a remote site right now - a headless mac mini hidden behind a double-NAT system no less. Just have to forward the right ports. (3283 and 5900).

You'll see people complaing you can't change the port ARD connects to. It's quite easy - on the list of computers (in ARD), right click on a computer, 'Get Info' and 'Edit' and you can change the port there.

My setup for controlling up to 10 computers behind a double-NAT:

Internet -> Router 1. Ports 3284-94 and ports 5901-11 mapped to same ports on fixed ip of router 2 (e.g. 192.168.0.2)

Router 2 -> distributes these ports to 3283 & 5900 at computers at each of the subnet ip addresses 192.168.1.2-12

NOTE: Router 1 controls local network x.x.1.x and router 2 controls local network x.x.2.x

EXAMPLE:
    I want to control computer 6, so I tell ARD to connect to public internet IP of router 1, e.g. 12.12.12.12, at ports 3290 and 5907.

Router 1 has a mapping rule to pass on these incoming ports to 192.168.0.2, where a second router sits.

Router 2 has a mapping rule to convert incoming ports 3290 and 5807 to ARD's ports of 3283 and 5900 and pass them onto where computer 6 sits, at 192.168.1.8

This is from memory and I actually only have it running on a single remote computer at the moment, but that proves the concept works.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

FINALLY! a subject i can answer!

its VERY easy! i port forward thru my Airport. then i type in my web address into remote desktop/VNC viewer then the port! simple.

not very keen on teamviewer. its alright but remote desktop is just so much cleaner.

i created a VM just for VNC use. it has a dedicated IP address and i remote directly into it from outside my network. so simple and i dont care if anything happens to it!

you said it!

the iphone version costs $~30 i think!

very simple really isnt it!

wow!!! been wondering this for a while!! haha thanks heaps :D any way to change the port that the OSX remote sharing port is?

edit: hmm.. i cant find it. do you just add the port number to the end of the IP address?
    double edit: got it! nm!

but yea, remote desktop if you want the investment (or torrent) - or just use the Vine Server + Vine Viewer combination!

my only gripe about Remote Desktop is that its too slow when on a local intranet!! when refreshing screens it might use 3MB/s max. i have GB ethernet! i want it to use all of that! i might even be able to watch movies that way.

oh and another vote for logmein.com (free)

10. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I use microsoft remote desktop to admin a Windows Server 2008 machine that I work with, and Teamviewer for remotely supporting offsite staff that use Windows clients.

I know, that means I deal with 3 different remote desktop admin apps at the same time (!). It's a bit of a mess, but I manage.

NP.

Not sure to be honest. I've heard of a way that involves extensive fiddling in Terminal, but never tried it. With the right port mappings in the router, you shouldn't need to have to do this.

Apple are a bit evasive on this. They say

"Configurable port for client" at their ARD 3 promotion page at http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/upgrade.html

which looks like you can indeed configure the listening port, but on second reading, probably means just configuring the port the admin utility looks at. Huh.

but yea, remote desktop if you want the investment (or torrent) - or just use the Vine Server + Vine Viewer combination![/QUOTE]

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i use RDP at work too. we remote into servers and then sometimes have to RDP into other servers (all offsite). its pathetically slow.

virtua desktops!haha

how very odd. id just rather be able to change it by default then use a sepearte VNC server (vine) which can choose the port to serve on - i currently cannot connect to multiple computers from external sites this way :(

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

RedTomato and DoFoT9 thanks for the info and advice.

I will give it a try.

BTW, in your situations is the remote computer and the master connected to the same ISP?

As for ARD, I love it in our main office. So easy to use.

Correct.

There is a free version of LogMeIn for non-commercial purposes. The master accesses via the web using your favorite browser. The slave (remote) has a background app running. I've found it works great for PC to PC, Mac to Mac, PC to Mac and Mac to PC, and provides me the flexibility that I need for my job.

And I love the iPhone app. Well worth the 30 bucks. Take this evening for example. I could have stayed and worked late at the office updating computers. But rather my wife and I wanted to go out and have a nice sushi dinner. Enter LogMeIn via the iPhone. :)

I was able to administer the updates while eating dinner with minimal disruption all the while enjoying dinner and some beer. I've also been known to administer some computers from the ski slopes (literally) which sure beats being at the office. :D

13. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Glad to be of help. And local and remote are using different ISPs. Shouldn't be an issue.

The only port that I've known ISPs to block is 25, for spam fighting. And maybe 80 to stop people running servers on a domestic access plan. They shouldn't have a problem carrying other ports. There'd be a lot of upset gameplayers and helpdesk staff if they blocked vast arrays of ports.

14. danysl macrumors member

danysl

iChat

Have you tried ichat, I believe it has screen sharing.

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

all good :D

i have tried it with both the same ISP and a different ISP. both work 100% the same. i have an actual web address setup (from dyndns), and i just type that in! so easy!

it is amazingly easy! i love it! if only it worked with RDP :(

yup ive been a user of it since about 2007. i probably use it at least once a week remoting into various computers, helping family members/friends etc. its a bit slow but thats the upload speeds fault :(

bahahahahaha thats awsome man! i cant wait to get my iPad!!! logmein will be on the main menu :D:D will be much easier too.

i dont think any of our ports are blocked from the ISP. never done a scan though but i think they are all open.

wow. cant believe i forgot about that one :rolleyes:

16. dukedvl macrumors member

I think screen sharing in iChat started with 10.5 and his friend is on 10.4, is it able to connect to a 10.4 machine?

I use iChat screen sharing with my family members Macs quite frequently. It has come in very handy.