Remote Desktop behind a time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trey5498, Mar 27, 2009.

1. trey5498 macrumors regular

I use cox high speed internet and have a Time Capsule wireless router. I have a windows box and a brand new iMac hooked up to it with Ethernet cables. I have tried going into the port mapping and assigning a port to the permanent IP I gave the windows box. However, I cant seem to connect to the Pc remotely.

I can when the PC is hooked up I directly to the cable box. How do I get this done??

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

3. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

I am using Microsoft Remote Desktop to attempt to access the Windows XP box. I can't get past the Time Capsule router though

4. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Did you open port 3389 for RDP on the Time Capsule? Also make sure you don't have the Windows Firewall turned on or open the same port on it.

Hope this helps.

-J.-

5. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

I have 3 computers hooked up to the capsule (including a iMac and macbook pro). I have set up under the Internet tab > NAT a port to access the PC as the port 5498 (so in the rdp window I would connect to it like 1.2.3.4:5498 and get to that specific PC).

Is what you are talking about under the Advance > Port Mapping? The firewall is down. The RDP has issues finding the PC as if the Time Capsule wont let anything through it.

6. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

By default MS RDP works over port 3389...did you change this somewhere?

J.

7. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

no change, was just attempting to follow guides on how to get past the time Capsule with port forwarding. Change the port I am trying to use to 3389 in the port mapping on the Time Capsule port mapping and it should work?

Again everything on the PC works. I can remote desktop to it, when I take out the router.

8. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Yup try mapping port 3389 to the internal IP address of the PC that sits behind the TC Router. The reason it works outside the router is that nothing is blocking that incoming port 3389 connection to the PC.

J.

9. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

gotcha. I will try that.

Thank you for the help ;)

10. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

No problem. Let me know if that doesn't work. By the way I use LogMeIn to access Remote PCs it's much more secure than having that RDP open:

www.logmein.com

I use the Pro version but the Free version is good too (no remote printing).

Others use PC Anywhere or Go To My PC, etc.

Cheers.

-J.-

11. trey5498 thread starter macrumors regular

I have gotten it to work using 3389 as you suggested. One last question. is there a way of setting the port that you enter to access the PC.

[​IMG]

Going by the image above (keep in mind I am using custom and that is not my image). If I want to enter 1.2.3.4:1234 would I set the private ports to 1234 and leave public as 3389 to obtain this or vise versa?

12. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy