Remote Desktop Client update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bigpoppamac31, Mar 24, 2017.

1. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

Hey. So I have an update sitting in the Mac App Store for Apple's Remote Desktop Client app. However I don't think I even have that app. I can't find it anywhere on my Mac so I'm wondering why I'm even getting an update for it. Is there a way to find out and remove the update from the list?

2. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Remote Desktop consists of an Admin portion, and a client portion which is part of MacOS, so you probably can't get rid of that. You can go ahead and do that update even if only just to get rid of that update reminder.

It's explained here and here, if you want more info on it.

3. Tech198 macrumors G4

Except i don't think that's what he's talking about.... The screen sharing in Finder is totally different, and not as many useful features as that link... but still relies on a remote desktop client update.

Two different things.

If the app is not on your Mac, then u mean screen sharing which still uses this remote client update.
    https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25554?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

4. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well that screen sharing feature is turned off on my Mac so that's no worry there.

Well as I mentioned I don't seem to have the App (first link) so it can't be that. It must be the client portion then. But why would it be there if I don't need it? Seems kinda creepy to be honest. Maybe Apple can enable it without the user knowing it's on.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Remote Desktop client is built into every installation of OS X. It's already in your Mac, so there's no risk installing this. Apple can't turn it on remotely.

6. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

Okay. Seems weird they would include it. How many outside of school or businesses would use it?

7. jaduff46 macrumors regular

jaduff46

Yes, but you might eventually have a need for it. We switched service providers at work and all I had to do was put the requisite IP address in to connect and be able to get stuff done without the hike into NYC.

Same with the programming languages and Unix utilities that come along with MacOS being a Unix-based operating system.

8. bigpoppamac31 thread starter macrumors 68000

How would I have need of it? I don't see any need to access my computer remotely.

9. cannuk macrumors newbie

Ok I am reading all of this and understand its ok to process. But can anyone tell me if this program allows someone to monitor what I am doing on my computer from elsewhere?