Remote Desktop Connection app

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macfilm, Nov 16, 2010.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi, the app "Remote Desktop Connection" installed itself when I was installing Office 2011 on my Mac.
    How do I use this to access my Windows PC?
    I've followed all the instructions exactly as they are written and it still fails to connect every time, I'm trying to connect by typing my PC's full name into the space. I'm not too up on this kind of thing so if anyone has any help on it?
    I have a router and both my Mac and PC are connected from it by ethernet.
    Also my PC is running Vista.

Thank you

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Is your PC running Vista Professional or Ultimate (Home Premium does NOT support Remote Desktop) and have you configured the Remote settings appropriately?

B

3. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Damn I'm pretty sure it's Home. I've got the option to enable remote desktop connection, not much to configure really, it's on or off, the advanced settings just allow me to set a time for which the connection will be cut of.

So I deffo can't do it?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not out of the box with Vista Home. There is a hack that involves copying some DLLs and modifying the registry to make it think it's Pro that you can find via Google "enable remote desktop vista home".

What you are describing sounds like the configuration for Remote Assistance which is an entirely different beast than Remote Desktop.

You could always install VNC or something like http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx to do it a different way...

B

5. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

Yep you were spot on, I was looking at Remote Assistance, so I guess I can't do it this way, no biggie, just thought I'd try it with the new app. Thanks for your assistance though :)