Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

opufo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
I'm trying to connect from my macbook to my work PC but I have not been able to do it.
I have very little technical knowledge; so this is what I have
Macbook running Mountain Lion my home router is an apple airport trying to connect to my work computer running Windows7 professional trough an ATT router.
I downloaded Apple's Remote desktop connection i think 3.3 version
I also downloaded on my PC TightVCN service an open port 5900
but so far no luck; can someone help me with what I'm doing wrong or missing
Thanks in advance

opufo1

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
I HIGHLY suggest checking with your employer before attempting to connect from a personal machine. You should also check with them to see how they would prefer you connect.

You likely can't connect as any business concerned about security will have a firewall running to prevent intrusion, you would need some way around that firewall.

dspilman

macrumors newbie
Feb 21, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
Microsoft just released a new Remote Desktop application for OSX. Best part- it's free! I've been using it for a couple days now and it works great. Very simple, doesn't have anywhere close to as many features as apples Remote Desktop, but for my needs it's perfect.

I agree with the above comment, many businesses block RDP on their firewall, or only allow RDP through a certain port. Check with your business network manager for any applicable details.

opufo1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2013
Thank you all for your answers
we have a very simple set up, we do not have an IT guy and actually our network(or Router) is not behind any firewall; I know is stupid to have this kind of set; but that is to the owner to deal with
all we have is an ATT router, the computers are all stand alone and connect to the router
I don't know if this info would help with my problem
any input would be greatly appreciate
Thanks

----------

Hi dspilman
what is the name of the new remote application from Microsoft
thanks

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Thank you all for your answers
we have a very simple set up, we do not have an IT guy and actually our network(or Router) is not behind any firewall; I know is stupid to have this kind of set; but that is to the owner to deal with
all we have is an ATT router, the computers are all stand alone and connect to the router
I don't know if this info would help with my problem
any input would be greatly appreciate
Thanks

----------

Hi dspilman
what is the name of the new remote application from Microsoft
thanks

Just check the Mac App Store, it's on top of the free apps, and it is called "Microsoft Remote Desktop". It is very simple but fast and light. Since you have no network infrastructure that blocks connections (and as long as the PCs are running windows) this is what you need. However, on the PC side, you should make sure that every PC you want to connect to, allows remote connections and the terminal services (service) is running on the windows side.

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Even if the "router" is like a home gateway or router that you'd use at home, it works similar to a firewall. It may not be as secure as a larger corporation would have, but it's still possible it's blocking the connection. You'd have to set up a port forward on that device to forward the incoming remote desktop connection to your computer on your desk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.