remote desktop connection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by darbswerdba, Jul 6, 2007.

1. darbswerdba macrumors newbie

i just got a mac and am trying to figure out how to access a remote desktop connection for my work. on a pc, i went to the start menu, communication, and there was an option called 'remote desktop connection.'

when i clicked on that, microsoft outlook opened and there was a box for the ip address at my work. i filled in the ip and then i logged in with my work username and password.

how do you do this on a mac?

2. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Install Microsoft's client, and then it's pretty much the same. If you have Microsoft Office, you don't have to install the client, as it's already inside the MS Office 2004 folder. :)

It works beautifully...perhaps even better on a Mac than on Windows. :)

4. darbswerdba thread starter macrumors newbie

.dmg opens excel file

in the directions, it says to double click the .dmg i downloaded on my desktop to mount the Remote Desktop connection volume. put when I do this message pops up: The file is not a recognizable format. And then it opens an Excel sheet with symbols on it.

what gives?

5. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Oh, I see for some reason MS has compressed it in .bin or .hqx format. Did you uncompress it first?

I can't remember how I extracted the dmg - it's been so long (I certainly don't have Stuffit on my disk). But I can send you an uncompressed copy if you like.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Again, if you have Office 2004, it's already in

/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Additional Tools/Remote Desktop Connection

You don't need to install anything; you can just launch it from there and then type in the name of the terminal server or the IP you have.

But if you don't, you can use Stuffit to expand it, or something like The Unarchiver.

7. kinesin macrumors regular

download Cord from sourceforge. Opensource and imo works better within the Mac environment that MS remote destop client

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Is there anything interesting CoRD can do that I should check out? I noted that it does have the ability to switch to fullscreen mode after launching windowed, although it gets buggy after that -- the window is still there with a static of the screen when the change was initiated, and a windowed mode button that doesn't do anything. Also I guess there are some advantages to the way it handles Exposé, although again it can be quirky. Is there anything else I should try on it that works particularly well? MS's product seems to have a lot more options, and aside from not being able to dynamically switch between window and fullscreen, seems more stable. But I'm definitely open to options, and appreciate hearing about CoRD. :)

9. Dpiano macrumors newbie

Hi there, i'm looking for the opposite. I need to remote control my mac from my pc!? any ideas?