Remote Desktop Connection

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ktalebian, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ktalebian macrumors regular

Hi there,
    So I followed some instructions on the web, and setup a Remote Desktop Connection on Windows XP Pro.
    I tried connecting to it from another PC computer, and it worked (however, I worked local, so I don't know if this will work outside or not).
    Then I tried it from my Mac. I downloaded the client from the website (the windows website for Mac).
    now the problem is that, when I use the local IP address (you know, 192.168...) it works fine, and it connects. However, when I use the ISP IP (from whatismyip.com), I cannot connect to the computer from my Mac.
    It says:
    You were disconnected from the Windows-based computer because of network problems. Verify that your network and Internet connections are working, and then tyr reconnecting to the Windows-based computer.

I don't get this problem when I try this ISP IP from another Windows computer!!!
    Why?? Where is the problem?
    If its my setup of Remote Desktop Connection, I followed the following wbesite
    http://www.jakeludington.com/ask_jake/20051122_how_to_use_remote_desktop_connection_rdc.html

Thanks alot!

2. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

On the same subject, how do I actually copy files between my laptop and the connected desktop from my MPR?

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What is your network setup, exactly? So you have some kind of local network, and you put the computer that's serving the remote connections in the DMZ or port-forwarded to make it accessible from the external network, correct?

Then you tried to connect via a PC on the LAN, and it worked via the LAN IP. And you tried to connect via a Mac on the LAN, and it also worked via the LAN IP.

But then you tried to connect via the PC and Mac using the external / WAN IP (the "real" one), from inside the LAN?

If that's how I'm understanding you, I don't think you can do this test and rely on its validity at all. You need to try the WAN IP address when you're not actually on the LAN....

RE: File transfer: Once you've enabled file sharing, you open My Computer on the remote PC via the RDC, and you should see a drive mounted that represents your user directory or Mac HD or whatever you allowed to be shared.

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Within your corporate network, use either the name of the machine (for example, the name of my Windows box is "nadyne-svc") or the local IP address. The IP address that you're getting from that site likely isn't one that's you can use to access a machine on your corporate network when you're outside of the corporate network.

When you're off of your corporate network, it depends on your corporate network whether you'll be able to get back into it using RDC. You might need to use a VPN, you might need to use a smartcard, or there might be something else. Ask around to see if other people are able to access their work computers from home. If they're not able to do it, then RDC can't do anything for you. If they are able to do it, find out what they need to do. If you are able to access your computer from outside of your corporate network, you might need to use a fully-qualified domain name (for example, mine is "nadyne-svc.microsoft.com") to access it.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, this is my home, and I am setting up the entire thing.
    I got the ISP IP from my ISP, by calling them, so I'm pretty sure its the right IP.
    Again, I don't have any problem working locally.
    But I want to be able to access my computer when I'm at work, or at school.
    But I don't understand why I can't do that ...!
    Again the problem is only with Mac! Now, i don't know if my windows computer can still connect when I'm outside of my local network. but, while I am inside the network, I can either use the local IP or the ISP IP and connect.
    With Mac, i can only use local IP. Using ISP IP, I get an error!

Thanks

6. QueenZ macrumors 6502

QueenZ

try LogMeIn service, it's fast and works really great. I'm using it all the time to see how my Mac is doing when i'm at school :D

7. Trip.Tucker Guest

Good lord, you can find out your public IP by surfing to http://www.whatismyip.com for example. No need to call your ISP.

8. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Hahaha, I know :p
    I did that too! But after nadyne's post, I thought maybe i'm doing something wrong! So I called in to check that!!!

So, anyways, what seems to the be the problem?

9. ktalebian thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, I have some update!

I also started using FTP.
    Now, after setting up the FTP on my Windows computer, I tried to connect to it from my Mac. Using the local IP, it worked.
    I tried the Dynamic IP, and it didn't :p. But what is interesting is that, at least it does recognize it! I mean I tried random name (like asdhas.ath.cx) and it said nothing found, but when I tried my actual domain, it found, it just said it could not authenticate the username!
    Now why?? I can connect to it using the same username using the local IP! And it seems to detect the domain name!
    So what's wrong now?