Remote Desktop for Mac. Cant connect over Internet Mac to Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by echodesign23, Dec 21, 2010.

1. echodesign23 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I'm a graphic designer, but technically i'm not that clued up on things regarding IP addresses, VPN etc. So help here would be fantastic and preferable in the simplest terms that anyone could understand.

But heres the situation. I have two macs, one at work, one at home. I want to connect from the one at work to screen share, access fles etc the one at home, or vice verca. Both are running the same version of Mac OS X Leopard. My one at work is fairly new, although the one at home is slightly older, G4 series. (aparently Remote Desktop should still work with PowerPcs), obviously both computers are on completely separate internet networks in two completely different locations.

Lets call computer at WORK - computer A.
    and at HOME computer B.

Heres what i've done.
    1) I have purchased Remote Desktop for mac (Version 3.3)
    2) On both computers have allowed 'Remote Management' & 'Remote Login' to the main administrator name and allocated it with the computer password (which is actually the same on both computers).
    3) Discovered my I.P address from COMPUTER B
    4) Installed Remote Desktop on COMPUTER A
    5) Pressed 'Add by Address' on COMPUTER A and filled in the IP address for COMPUTER B, user name and password, double checked and correct.
    6) I'm sitting at COMPUTER A right now and it says 'Connecting to IP 192.16x.x.x' but never does and fails after a minute. COMPUTER B, is definitely awake and has given all permissions that i stated above, it is connected to the internet via Airport

Can anyone please help me out and point me in the direction why this isnt working, why isn't it connecting? Is there something else i need to do? Again, i'm not super technical so in simplest terms would be fantastic.

Many thanks

2. echodesign23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, Just one thing, its saying Remote Management Port: 3283, Screen Sharing Port: 5900 by default, not sure what that means exactly

3. vlc macrumors newbie

It seems that the IP you're trying to reach is a local IP at home, not the external which is the one reachable from internet. You have to connect to your external IP adress, and make sure to forward the ports mentioned to the local IP adress of your computer at home. If you have a router at home this is usually done via a web-interface. Hope it will help!

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see so many threads where people are struggling to set up Remote Desktop, VNC, etc. A much simpler approach is to use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's free, quite simple to set up (even for those who are computer illiterate), and does everything you need.