Remote Desktop for Mac Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jony Mac, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Jony Mac macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

So since I got this old PowerBook G4 up and running I wanted to set it up as a backup machine for my MacBook.

On my MacBook I connect to work over VPN, and use CoRD to connect to my PC there. Pretty simple..it works. I'd rather do it this way rather than Citrix, because I found Citrix on the Mac to be slow. Anyway.

So I have Tiger running on my PowerBook. CoRD requres 10.5.x so I was stuck using the Microsoft Remote Desktop client. I can connect to the VPN fine, and even ping my work PC by name and IP. The problem is everytime I try using RDP it fails saying my user/password are wrong.

I can connect to it on my iPhone using VPN and iRDesktop so I know that works fine. It just seems like the RDP client I'm using has issues.

Has anyone else ran into a problem like this? Are there any RDP clients I can try?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I avoid all such hassles by using TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's remarkably easy to set up and use, and it's very secure.

3. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah the admin there probably has that blocked. It sucks because in my MacBook it works great.

4. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

So on my PowerBook G4 I'm using TSclientX, works much better than the Microsoft one..and I'm still using CoRD on my MacBook. Both work really well. I hope that helps others if they are having the same issue with the Microsoft client.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use logmein and/or gotomypc. Logmein is free for personal use and it works great. I have gotomypc for work stuff, but I include on of my macs so I can access it from my work location. My company blocks access to logmein (but not gotomypc).

6. sotiredofsoup macrumors member

Awesome info. I was just having similar problems with work VPN today and wanted an alternative to the Microsoft client.

7. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Try entering your user ID in the Microsoft RDP client as DOMAIN\username, rather than just username, or if it's a Windows XP/Server 2003-based box, make sure you've selected your windows domain from the Log on To: box. If you don't see Log on To:, click the Options button on the logon screen.

8. Jony Mac thread starter macrumors 6502

Jony Mac

I can get in now with the Microsoft client, its just so unreliable. It cannot stay connected at all. I found these other products CoRD and TSclientX that worked much better.

9. the vj macrumors 6502a

Use TeamViewer, Remote desktop is a waste of time. It is free, easy to set up and runs in Windows as well. It even skips firewalls without any additional programming or configuration.

10. CDutch macrumors regular

Quick question about TeamViewer. Does it allow access to a Terminal Services account? Essentially...I'd like to use it to instead of Microsoft Remote Desktop.

Is that possible? If so, how? I can't seem to find the field to enter the IP address of the server.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You don't enter IP addresses in Team Viewer. They have their own unique identifier.

12. CDutch macrumors regular

What do I use to access the terminal services server if I can't use the IP address?

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

See page 9 of the Manual - TeamViewer 6.0 (PDF)