Remote Desktop for Mac Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SupportGuy, Feb 10, 2010.

1. SupportGuy macrumors newbie

Hey All,

I am trying to set-up remote desktop for 3 Mac users in to our Windows platform network. All remote users (PC & Mac) can create a VPN connection through our WatchGuard Firebox just fine. The PC users can connect easily to their desktop workstations, but the Mac users enter the IP of their workstation in to Remote Desktop for Mac & get immediate "cannot connect" errors. I've looked at every setting in the Firebox & on the workstations to correct this, but cannot find what would be preventing the connection. I really don't want to move to VNC or LogMeIn to give the Mac users access. I'd appreciate getting any advice on how to get Remote Access for Mac working.

Thanks!

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

What app are you using for the mac users to connect?

Are you using the Windows built in RD?

What's wrong with VNC (RealVNC, UltraVNC)? Same as windows but plays nicer cross platform?

You could try TeamViewer (works better than LogMeIn in my opinion).

3. SupportGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

According to the fine documention by MS, I've got the remote mac users trying to connect with Remote Desktop for Mac. There's probably nothing wrong with VNC or the other options you mentioned, I just haven't configured Mac access on a domain before so started out with what was recommended. If there is a better & more reliable way to get this done I'm all for it.

Thanks for the input!

4. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Which version of Windows are they connecting to? Which version of Remote Desktop are they using?

Regards,
    Nadyne.

5. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I'm guessing the RD client is using the same port on the mac as is being used on teh pc. But wouldn't hurt to double check if you haven't already.

they could try typing the ip:port just to be sure...

192.168.4.32:5900

See if that gets them anywhere, just in case.

I would simply think it's a port issue, but just don't know without log info.

6. SupportGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I installed the latest version (2.01?) of the RD for Mac on the users MacBook which listens on 3899. Did a netstat -an on the XP Pro workstation to confirm that it is listening on the correct port (fine). I'm beginning to suspect user error as there should be no real magic involved here. The previous IT tech set-up VNC because he couldn't get the RD for Mac to work, and I wonder if that is gumming up the process. I saw he had done some port forwarding on the Firebox changing the port to 3393 for some connections, and a couple of the XP boxes were listening on the modified port.

It's my own frustration that I know what needs to be done and how to change it on a PC, but with my limited Mac experience I don't know how to check those things for the user. I think my next course of action will be to try to get the users Mac for the evening & check the connection/errors myself to see what it is actually doing (or not doing).

Thanks again!

7. SupportGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

O.K., my frustration level is growing! Brought home a Mac Airbook, configured a VPN connection w/PPP, it goes out & tries to connect but can't. Tried various user accounts & still no go. I send out a Ping & it comes back fine. Watchguard says there is nothing stopping a Mac from connecting, and various PC's connect to it all day long.

I'm open to suggestions...

8. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

I just don't know what else to try. I've never had that issue...but then I just use VNC. Most of my clients don't need to work on a foreigh desktop for long periods of time so VNC works fine.

9. locust76 macrumors 6502a

I've got Macs in my Windows network at work as well, but without VPN and they can connect to other Windows machines via RDP without problem.

It's helpful to note that the default RDP listen port is 3389, not 3899.

Also, I'm not exactly clear on what you're trying to do: Are you trying to connect TO the Macs using RDP? Cuz that won't work. RDP Server is Microsoft proprietary, and much more secure than standard VNC, not to mention faster. If you want to connect from Windows > Mac, then you will have to use VNC, I recommend Vine VNC Server, as the built-in Apple VNC server (Screen Sharing) is buggy.

What does the VPN connection look like? Is it NAT'd? Is there anything on a Layer 3 basis that might be interfering with the communications between the machines? Can your machines behind the VPN connection do other things, like access the internet/network resources/ping other IP addresses within the network? (notably those you which to form an RDP connection with?)

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Did you try VNC and not RDP?

How about logmein, they offer a mac client as well.

11. tonyburkhart macrumors regular

tonyburkhart

CoRD

Try CoRD, it has never failed me. I have had issues with Remote Desktop Connection Client for Mac 2, for some reason or another.

Anyways, I se CoRD to connect to my office's Windows machine, whenever I am on the road.

Super easy set-up and use and it's free!

http://cord.sourceforge.net/

12. SupportGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

I fat-fingered my response when I said the RDP port was 3899. All the XP Pro boxes at the client site are listening on the default port 3389. They can all share network drives & printers, have Internet access, and PC users can make it through the Firebox just fine & connect to desktops. The policy on the Firebox is to accept VPN connections on any port, and I have logged in to desktops with the user accounts for the Mac folks so know that the VPN connection isn't being blocked because of that.

I suspect a VPN issue on the AirBook. I know the last tech had some of the Mac folks using VNC & he changed the listening port on some of the desktops at the job site. He also was using port forwarding in the Firebox so the Macs were connecting on a non-standard port. If I could get the VPN connection up on the Mac, I could use a number of the great suggestions for the RDP (free is good!). Is there an alternative to the built-in VPN utility on the Mac? Or a way to see why it hits the Firebox but doesn't lock in?

I really appreciate the feedback & having Mac guru's taking the time to help me troubleshoot this one!