Remote Desktop for Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by winty03, Sep 25, 2008.

1. winty03 macrumors regular

Is there a way I am able to "remote desktop" in to my MBP. I have looked at Remote Desktop 3 from Apple, but seems to be over kill just to beable to remote connect to my MBP to grab a file or 2. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

What type pf machine do you want to view your MBP screen on, Windows or Mac?

Here's how:

On your MBP, go to System Prefs->Sharing, Check the Screen Sharing Box. Then check the "Computer Settings" button, check the VNC box and add a password.

No, on the machine you want to use to view your MBP:
    If it's a Mac, in finder, selected Go->Connect to server, and type "vnc://<ip address of MBP>
    If Windows, you'll need to download a VNC client, there are plenty of free ones, for example, TightVNC

Note, if the machines are not on the same network, you'll need to do some port forwarding on the router that the MBP is hiding behind in order for things to work.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. winty03 thread starter macrumors regular

I would be going over the internet, using a windows box here at work....and come into my time capsule and wireless to my mbp.

6. ThunderRobot macrumors regular

ThunderRobot

I like the free software from www.teamviewer.com for cross-platform desktop sharing.

Easy to use, but plenty prefer a simple VNC client.