Remote desktop for OS X? PC -> Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theNEOone, Feb 16, 2009.

1. theNEOone macrumors 6502

What do you guys use? I'd like a simple web-based solution, if possible.

=|

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I use TightVNC for such things. Or just FTP/SSH if I needed something else.

3. theNEOone thread starter macrumors 6502

I was hoping to stay away from a vnc solution...I'd have to wrap dyndns into the mix, or remember my ip address. I was hoping something like Microsoft's Live Mesh would work on a Mac, but unfortunately, functionality is limited to file sharing - no RDP.

Booo.

=|

4. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I believe TeamViewer is what you are looking for. I use it all the time for remote support and file sharing with friends who are less computer savvy than I :p. Make sure you download the full version.

5. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I've used a lot of them including VNC, TeamViewer, GoToMyPC, and Logmein.com. I've finally stuck with the free version of Logmein.com. TeamViewer is good but when I tried it someone had to be on the PC side to punch in the meeting code. Also, it cut me off after 10 mins after I used it a few times.

Logmein.com is very straight forward, works great, and only has a few limitations in the free version. The limitations are something like no sharing of sound, printers, and files (I think). I just use gmail to send myself a file if I need to or I send it through Skype (I have a separate Skype account on each computer).

I keep my old work PC on the net this way in case I need files. I also use this to maintain my in-laws PC. (Aren't we all the tech support guys?) -- working on their Mac upgrade now...

6. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Another vote for LogMeIn. Its clean, very simple and works, you do not need to worry about Firewalls, IPs and what not. There are a few limitations but for free, it works well.