Remote desktop from a windows machine?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by secretpact, Sep 1, 2008.

1. secretpact macrumors 6502

Hello everyone, is it possible to view/control my desktop from a windows XP laptop? For example, if I had my windows laptop with me on a trip and my iMac is at home. Is there a way to turn on my iMac remotely away from home, as well? Or at least wake it from sleep? Thank you.

2. om3ga785 macrumors member

Yes you can. I connect to my MAC remotely sometimes from my Dell.

Check out www.logmein.com. They give you free remote access software you can use. I use it at work as well.

As for the waking and sleeping, You need to have your Ethernet controller (not wireless) set to WOL (wake on lan)
    but i don't know much about WOL settings on MACs. Only on PC's.

3. nadyne macrumors 6502a

You can't wake it from sleep or turn it on remotely. But you can access your Mac when you're from home.

The expensive way to do it is to use Apple Remote Desktop, which will set you back a few hundred bucks. I've got it and use it, and it's fine, but it's definitely an expensive app just to connect to your Mac every once in awhile.

You can use VNC to access your Mac remotely. A search of these forums should provide you with details of how to get it set up. I can't recommend any VNC apps for Windows myself, but there's oodles of 'em out there.

(There are VNC apps for Mac as well -- lots of people swear by "Chicken of the VNC", but I prefer "JollysFastVNC". You can use those to connect Mac-to-Mac. And if you ever need to connect from your Mac to your Windows XP or Vista computer, check out Remote Desktop Connection.)

I've heard of the website LogMeIn.com, but I've never used it myself.

4. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

I will check out logmein.com when I get the chance, I hope it's free.

As for Remote Desktop Connection, it seems that it cannot connect from Windows to Mac, like what I want to do.

Can Chicken of VNC connect to a Mac from a Windows PC?

5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yup, it can.

6. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

No it can't. Chicken of the VNC is a Mac only app.

I use TightVNC on a Windows machine.

What I've done - free software only, but not for everyone:
    1. On Mac: enabled screen sharing. On the screen sharing tab, set a VNC password from the "Computer Settings" option. Opened a free dyndns account, and download the dyndns updater. This keeps my ISP-provided IP address up to date with the host name I registered with dyndns.
    2. On router: forwarded port 10022 to port 22 on my Mac. Port 22 is for ssh logins, so I'm connecting remotely from a secure connection. Using 10022 is just an attempt at security by obscurity and doesn't really add much security but I did it anyway. Easiest thing to do is just open port 22.
    3. On PC: hmm, I have cygwin on my PC but any other ssh client should do. In cygwin, from a bash shell, I type "ssh -l me mydyndns.dyndns.org -L 5901:localhost:5901 -p 10022".

Then I run tightVNC on the PC and point it to localhost 5901. Since I've tunneled the local 5901 port to 5901 on my Mac, I now see my desktop.

7. secretpact thread starter macrumors 6502

All this VNC stuff is confusing me :confused:

Has anyone had any experience with Windows -> Mac on logmein.com?

8. countermike macrumors member

hi , i have apple remote desktop , but i dont know how to configure it to connect to it form a windows pc or via the net ,

can someone please give me a guide . thanks

sorry as im bit new to remote desktop

9. countermike macrumors member

hi can u please tell me how u connect via apple remote desktop

thanks

10. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Apple Remote Desktop is client software and Mac only. It won't run on a PC and you don't connect to it. You connect to a Mac from another Mac using it.

You need to use a VNC client on the PC, and open your router (assuming you have one) to allow access to the Mac.

11. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I just started using logmein and it works great. Best of all it's for free.

12. K3mp macrumors 6502