remote desktop from Windows

Discussion in 'macOS' started by stevieg83, Jan 5, 2011.

1. stevieg83 macrumors newbie

Hi folks, hopefully someone will be able to help.

At work I run on Windows XP, I'm able to connect to my home network through SSH and onto another Windows box with remote desktop.

From that Windows box I'm then able to use VNC to remote desktop to my Mac :D

However, I'd rather just connect from my work PC to the Mac. I added some port forwarding rules on the router and also some tunnel rules for SSH but when I try to connect using VNC I get "Sorry, loopback connections are not enabled".

How can I enable loopback connections and will that solve my problem?

Thanks in advance,
    Steven

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Needs to be enabled in your server (i.e. the VNC software you are running on the work PC). You didn't mention what VNC software you are using.

e.g. http://users.rcn.com/tushar.manglik/

B

3. stevieg83 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running TightVNC but only the viewer, not the server.

I thought server only needs to be used on the host (ie the Mac).

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Sorry, I was thinking X11 where your "client" runs an X server.

I take it that the Mac's built in VNC doesn't like seeing a connection originate from itself and there does not seem to be a setting exposed for changing that behavior in System Preferences.

You could switch to OSXvnc http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/ since that gives you a bit more control on the back end.

I seem to recall fixing something like this in the past just by changing which machine the SSH tunnel was created on, but it's been a LONG time.

B

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just curious, do you have any insight into how TeamViewer deals with the firewall issues the OP is dealing with with SSH tunnels?

B

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, not specifically. Using TeamViewer will enable the OP to connect directly from the XP box to the Mac, without firewall issues, and without the need for SSH tunnels.

8. smirk macrumors 6502a

smirk

I use putty, a free Windows SSH client, to do exactly what you described. In putty, I defined a port forwarding definition to forward my work PC's local port 5901 to my Mac's port 5901. Then in TightVNCViewer, I connect to "localhost:1".

For legacy reasons, I run the OSXVNC server on my Mac; I don't think I've ever tried it with the built-in VNC server. The arguments I'm using on the server are: -rfbport 5901 -rfbnoauth -localhost -SystemServer 1 -nevershared -restartonuserswitch N -UnicodeKeyboard 0 -keyboardLoading N -pressModsForKeys N -EventTap 3 -swapButtons -rendezvous N

Hope that gives you some info to go on.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's basically what I remember having to do in a Windows -> Linux case.

B