Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nsimpson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
Hello

I recently bought an Imac for my folks (finally got them of windows!!) running on Leopard, I am running Tiger 10.4.1.1 on a MacBook Pro

I am helping them with a few things (mainly photoshop, illustrator etc)

I would like to be able to view there desktop remotely (we live in diffferent cities)

I have looked around and Chicken of the VNC looks my best option, i just wanted to confirm that I can view their screen as they are working not just control their computer.

Im pretty sure this is the case, but before i have them downloading things i wanted to be sure.

If their are better options please let me know.

Many Thanks

Neil

myjay610

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2008
Neil,

I use UltraVNC and when I connect to a remote computer I am able to see what the other computer's desktop is doing; so technically it should work. Another cool (and free) option you may want to look at is logmein.com. It's a free service and you can register several computers under a single user name. I'd suggest making an account that you and your folks will both have access to and instruct them to log in and register their mac for the service, then when you login you can control/view their computer.

Good luck,
John

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
CotVNC works - I control my parent's Mac cross country with it- but it's not all that fast (it's actually quite slow over the net) and odd things tend to not work - right clicking brings up Dashboard a lot, for example.

Still, it gets the job done, but it requires some router work to make sure the ports forward correctly.

If you could possibly get Leopard on your MBP, I can confirm that iChat's desktop sharing capability is much easier to use, much faster, and has no control glitches like CotVNC's. I'd upgrade my parents to Leopard, but their old iMac probably couldn't handle it. :)

nsimpson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2008
thanks

Gents thanks both for your help, looks like logmein.com is a winner

cheers

neil

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.