Remote Desktop Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EB66, Apr 17, 2008.

1. EB66 macrumors 6502

My parents have a Powermac at home and im trying to connect to it through remote desktop to transfer some files because im about 1000 miles away

I walked them through some steps to get me the ip address of the computer, the login and password, and enable remote desktop management or whatever they call it in the preferences

heres the problem:
    when i add the computer to remote desktop it verifies the login and IP and then adds it to the list but in the current status it tells me the computer is offline....i know the computer is online because i just got the ip address and they use the internet on it all the time

why does it say offline?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Did you get the real IP rather than just one provided by a router?

3. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

not sure....how can I figure this out? ifconfig maybe?

4. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

5. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

alright I had them go to whatismyip.com and it came up with a totally different address than I had so I thought I was golden, i added it to remote desktop with the user and password, it verified, added it to the list and then what do you know, current status offline? grrrr!

6. j.bond312 macrumors newbie

You need to enable port forwarding on there router, this means that when you connect to the ip you got from whatsmyip (the IP of your parents computer) it will forward you to your parents local area network (LAN) and the ip of the computer within that LAN.

For example, your actual parents ip address supplied by your ISP could be 81.32.2.23, which you would connect to and then by connecting to that it forwards the data to the computer within the LAN with the IP 192.168.1.101 and therefore allowing you to connect to it.

I have done this on my parents computer at home so that i can help my parents on the computer when im away and works fine.

The best guide ive ever known for doing this is on this website, its really helpful and has screenshots and a good walkthrough.

If you have problems finding the router you need etc then reply here and ill help you some more, just say what router they have etc.

Hope that helps!

Heres the website http://portforward.com/routers.htm

7. EB66 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks alot, i really appreciate it