Remote desktop Mac to Win7

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MajkJaro, Aug 18, 2013.

1. MajkJaro macrumors member

I'm thinking about buying a macbook pro retina but I need to have a remote desktop from my work @ home. We use Windows 7 computers there.

How should be a remote desktop set up and is it hard to set it on a mac? Is it free or not? Which software I would need to use? I see that Microsoft has something and many people recommend teamviewer.

If it's hard to set up I will have to buy a Windows notebook. I don't want to install Windows on a mac. It's pointless imo.

Thanks for your help!

2. MajkJaro thread starter macrumors member

You only have to buy this software or is it a monthly fee?

3. MajkJaro thread starter macrumors member

4. samh macrumors 6502

It's a free download. I use it to connect to a Windows Server 2003 machine over the Internet almost daily.

5. MajkJaro thread starter macrumors member

I have a big problem installing it, I get an error.

Need to contact their tech support.

Is it overall easy to set up a remote desktop?

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Your other concern is connecting to the remote computer. Many businesses prevent outside access, requiring a VPN tunnel or some other method to connect in from outside. They will need to support a Mac on that connection (if it uses specific software) and allow you to use a personal computer to connect.

The Windows 7 computer HAS to be Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate in order to act as a Remote Desktop host, Home Premium does not include the components needed to host an RDC session.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which is free for personal use and works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. I prefer it over LogMeIn because it includes free file transfers between computers, a feature I use frequently.

8. AppleFreak29 macrumors newbie

LogMeIn

Depends on how much you need to be accessing that Windows 7 machine. I would recommend LogMeIn personally. I use LogMeIn and my previous employer used it for access to all of their machines. There are free and paid versions available.

If you are looking for a constant remote access for daily use. I would try to set up RDC. It seems to have the most efficient connection for constant use.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It should be.

What version of Windows 7 are you using? I believe Home Premium and below don't allow remote desktop

What version of OS X?

How are you connecting to the work computer (network connection)

10. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

First question: Is the Windows machine at your work?

If so - contact your IT department. Do *NOT* try to remotely connect in to your work machine without the express authorization of the company you work for. Odds are, they have a method to do that already if they allow it.

11. MajkJaro thread starter macrumors member

They have no clue how to solve it - they said that teamviewer...

Macs are not popular in our business in Poland. All bailiff offices use windows software and windows computersl

12. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

1) Install Teamviewer on your Windows PC
    2) Install Teamviewer on your Mac
    3) Enjoy

13. jerirat macrumors newbie

Another endorsement for LogMeIn. I use it to log in to both my Windows Server (headless) and my Win7 desktop. It works great within your browser of choice.